PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Sainsburys and Jamie Olivers Feed your Family for £5 Chat Thread

Comments

• I have just collected the recipe cards from Sainsbury's detailing their 'Feed your family for a fiver'.

1. Meatballs 'n' more - fat content 30.8g per portion, Sat fat 10.1g per portion.

2. Bangers & roasted mash - fat 26.4g, Sat fat 9.8g per portion.

3. Savoury sausage bake - fat 29.9g, sat fat 11.9g per portion.

4. Homemade beefy burgers - fat 26.8g, sat fat 11.0g per portion.

5. Chunky tuna cakes - fat 1.5g, sat fat 0.4g per portion.

There were only 5 recipe cards and only one of them healthy!!

Wasn't Jamie promoting healthy balanced diets? Maybe I am missing something here...
  • all_hours
    all_hours Posts: 684 Forumite
    its going to be a tough job for whoever has to decide the winner - all the recipes on the competition thread sound delicious. :drool: im sitting here - trying to decide which one to try first.
  • HariboJunkie
    HariboJunkie Posts: 7,740 Forumite
    I have just collected the recipe cards from Sainsbury's detailing their 'Feed your family for a fiver'.

1. Meatballs 'n' more - fat content 30.8g per portion, Sat fat 10.1g per portion.

2. Bangers & roasted mash - fat 26.4g, Sat fat 9.8g per portion.

3. Savoury sausage bake - fat 29.9g, sat fat 11.9g per portion.

4. Homemade beefy burgers - fat 26.8g, sat fat 11.0g per portion.

5. Chunky tuna cakes - fat 1.5g, sat fat 0.4g per portion.

There were only 5 recipe cards and only one of them healthy!!

Wasn't Jamie promoting healthy balanced diets? Maybe I am missing something here...

They seem healthy enough to me if they are eaten as part of a balanced diet. :confused: 30g of fat is still less than half the RDA for adults and as it's a main meal I think it seems fine.

I admire Jamie for doing this. I think it would be pretty off putting for novice moneysavers if he started with a lower amount than £5.
  • moanymoany
    moanymoany Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    I've just made Bob12's Mexican Chickpea and Lemon Soup. It took quite a bit of whizzing to become smooth - I've no mint so excluded that - and it is GORGEOUS.

I had frozen chickpeas so used them. I made it for the weekend, I've had a cup to check it :D and I will have a bowl at lunchtime. Maybe enough for DH to have a cup before dinner.

I'm going to try the really cheap recipes, will post how they work out.

Tonight - MelissaB's saving a house deposit beany recipe.

Tomorrow - Timmo44's Nan's tuna casserole followed by Haribo's banoffee made into ice cream.

Sunday - Pauli's Girls's Tuscan bean stew.

Can't wait - yum yum !
  • moanymoany
    moanymoany Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    They seem healthy enough to me if they are eaten as part of a balanced diet. :confused: 30g of fat is still less than half the RDA for adults and as it's a main meal I think it seems fine.

I admire Jamie for doing this. I think it would be pretty off putting for novice moneysavers if he started with a lower amount than £5.

I agree Haribo, I also think he has targetted the sort of food people like and are going to be more likely to make. My first reaction was £5 - 'ow much! On reflection I remembered when I regularly spent this much - and just for the two of us. It has taken me three years and much advice and many ideas from this site to get to spending way less than half than I was. I will 'fess up, I used to spend £500 - sometimes more - a month. :o
  • What Sainsbury's would be better doing (from a consumer's perspective) is promoting the various storecupboard essentials that can have a meal whipped up from 'nothing'. For example, dried herbs, tinned toms, bags of pasta, cous cous, tinned beans (i.e. cannellini, not baked!). Most of those sorts of things are cheap, last aaaages, and can generally be used in conjunction with whatever you've got lying around the house to whip up a good meal for very little outlay.
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 1,130 Forumite
    Off topic but did you know Jamie gets £45,000 per day shooting adverts for Sainsburys with an overrun charge of £8k an hour...............that's a lot of 5quid dinners

I suppose it's whether you believe that Jamie truly has the nation's health and welfare at heart or whether he is just in it for the bucks. For me I believe that he is driven by the desire for good food for all, he just happens to be personally able to make a shedload of money out of that. And by association Sainsburys won't do too bad either.

But in effect no one loses, really.
    Jamie gets fat ole wodge of dosh in his pocket
    Sainsburys up sales
    Over spenders/non cooks get encouraged to cook from scratch and maybe save money and prepare better quality food.

In a free market economy it is virtually impossible to keep big business away from using 'ethical choices' as a means to up their market share and profits. They're not altruistic, they are in it for the bucks. But at least 'ethical choice' advertising campaigns, like this one, or for free range eggs, or fair trade food, may have some positive spin offs somewhere along the line for someone other than the big businesses instigating them.

And can I just say I have thoroughly enjoyed the bowl of homemade soup I just ate that cost me all of 15p a portion to produce :D. This forum right now is packed with a load of grannies sucking eggs furiously for all they are worth :rotfl:
    Comps £2016 in 2016 - 1 wins = £530 26.2%
    SEALED POT CHALLENGE MEMBER No. 428 2015 - £210.93

• Cleosmum
    Cleosmum Posts: 2,673
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have just started shopping in sainsbury, I had some vouchers through the post and decided to price them up on mysupermarket.com and they came out cheapest for what I buy and I got £5 off on top. If you had asked me a month ago to shop in sainsburys I would have refused, as far as I was concerned they were the most expensive out there.

Recipe wise, I cant afford to do £5 a meal, so sidestepped the cards. We did pizza from scratch last week and worked out it cost 50p a pizza (2 does 4 people). We do a pasta and sauce that costs about 60p for all 5 of us. Sausage casserole is a bit more at £1.50 a meal (at most & inc mash). Pushed the boat out last night and had burritos and that came to £3.65 for the whole meal lol.
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 11,961
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Seems to be a really whinging thread which only serves to show a bad side to this forum.

There are plenty of people out there who spend more than they can afford on food because they haven't had the benefit of experience or learning and will really welcome the ideas given.

OK - Sainsbury's is a commerical outfit and they are wanting to increase their profit, so what?? Don't see Tesco (or any other supermarket) bringing their prices right down, they are all in it for profit. They are businesses after all.

This is the first time I've seen so many snide remarks and 'put downs' which are almost of a pack mentality. If you don't want to make the meals then don't.

We can all be smug in our budgets and our meal planning and our use of left overs and our keen eyes for bargains and so on but don't forget those who haven't got any of these. Here we don't understand why people buy the 'finest' ranges, why they spend money at M&S and yet when one chain tries to educate about bringing the cost down there are still complaining comments about it.

:confused:
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Gers

I did not think the thread was "whinging" but just pointing out that it was a "start" rather than a "finish".
    I agree that if it encourages people to cook then it is great especially if they then start to think for themselves what else they could make.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills