4:3 letterbox on HDMI through sky box - need help

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 24 April 2014 at 5:36PM
    On another note, does anyone know what's the best picture mode setting for my tv?

These are my options...

Dynamic, Natural, Cinema, Game, Sports
  • StuC75
    StuC75 Posts: 2,065 Forumite
    The WII Will have some display out settings where you can set it to 4:3 or 16:9 mode... its just keeping the old settings which are no longer appropriate..
  • StuC75
    Its all down to preference really, how much light is in the room (does it get direct sun across the screen)..

Dynamic \ Natural are suited to normal viewing, video gaming can benefit from the other settings..
  • andrewmp
    andrewmp Posts: 1,754 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You could plug the scart cable in and if you're watching a 4:3 broadcast switch to the AV1 input and let the TV do it's magic (it'll either stretch it or zoom it or a combination of both depending on how it's set up). If your eyes prefer that to black bars at either end then it's a win for you!

This is presuming your TV does not allow the same thing via HDMI and assuming the Sky box will output HDMI and Scart at the same time (probably not).
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Sounds a lot of faffing around lol

I've set my sky box to 16:9 my tv to 16:9 and picture setting to Dynamic, have to see how I get on :D

Thanks for all the advice people, much appreciated :T
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    kazwilko wrote: »
    On another note, does anyone know what's the best picture mode setting for my tv?

These are my options...

Dynamic, Natural, Cinema, Game, Sports
    Cinema will be the best.
  • StuC75
    Not always, as that's geared towards watching in a dark room, some have dynamic\sensors to try to detect room lighting - but that can be temperamental if tv in direct sun.. gaming mode helps with contrast - although many console games have a setup option where tweak the ingame settings to create the optimum settings for contract - i.e. Black \ grey images where adjust until barely seen..

So what works on one tv in one room could be different elsewhere in the house..
    wongataa wrote: »
    Cinema will be the best.
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,789 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    The best setting would be a custom setting..Done to your own taste.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    When I got my half decent LCD TV I spent weeks fiddling with the picture, looking up recommended settings on HD TV Settings r Us (joke)etc.
    Finally dawned on me I was watching out for picture defects judder, smudging etc. rather than the programs. Did a factory reset, set the TV to Natural with the Eco sensor on and relaxed.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Dynamic almost always blows bright colours out and would be the worst setting in my opinion. I would start with Natural or Cinema, then adjust myself from there, particularly brightness, contrast. Don't be tempted to just brighten everything, and don't do it whilst watching whatever ancient stuff you've got that's 4:3!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure