Freecle / freecycle and balloons on sticks

Comments

• :mad: At my wits end with local freecycle moderator, who insists on moderating everyones posts. I had sent a message practically begging her to post a TAKEN message (I had sent 4 in total, a further 2 after sending this email were also ignored but she doesnt have any problems posting anyone elses messages including another freecycler who constantly posts gushing about all the wonderful things she gets and how lovely all the freecyclers are, which is nice but blocks up all the offer/taken/wanteds).

This is the message I sent
    Can I please ask why you wont allow TAKEN posts to be published? I have twice posted now to ensure i no longer get request emails for an item that has now been taken and would be extremely grateful if you could moderate this board correctly and allow a post through for an item that has been taken.
    This was the reply from the mod:(, i didn't even know i was looking for those words to be honest
    Some messages end up as spam.
    The words you are looking for are 'please' and 'thank you;
    Am not a total newbie, I lost my previous log in details after taking a very long break from this site :embarasse
  • dizziblonde
    dizziblonde Posts: 4,276
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I actually started posting on my offers that "I am on pre-moderated status still so it may take a while for any takens to appear following this offer"... seemed to speed up the takens getting through somewhat.
    Little miracle born April 2012, 33 weeks gestation and a little toughie!
  • Mrs.W_2
    Mrs.W_2 Posts: 584
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Last week I offered a four year old Dell laptop on fc.

I was staggered by the number of responses. But not a single one managed to include the word 'please' or anything close.

I'm not being overly sniffy here, 90% of the responses included the words, "If it works, I'll have it!" Followed by a request to call a mobile phone number.

Two days later I gave the thing to Oxfam.
  • I recently posted several items to giveaway and included the message that the items would only be given to the most polite reply and not given to the first person who emails. I received a few emails of support from people with their horror stories of rude replies, but not one polite email for any of my offers. So it can all go to the recycling centre instead sometime.

I have now left freecycle, too many rude people demanding stuff and totally fed up of the mod.

I posted some gift vouchers last week, they can only be used in the uk (i live outside the uk), someone emailed me to demand i post them to her as she doesnt live in the freecycle group area and so cant collect them. Ended up giving them to someone who brought round a box of chocs in return :A
    Am not a total newbie, I lost my previous log in details after taking a very long break from this site :embarasse
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    cigarwife wrote: »
    I posted some gift vouchers last week
    Against the rules, I believe!!
  • chickywiggle
    chickywiggle Posts: 5,203
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    ohh Mrs W I would be overwealmed if someone offered an old laptop (so long as it worked) and would have written a lovely message. Normally tho when they do get advertised I don't even ask for them as they are right over the other side of the city so i can never get to them (don't drive + 2 small kids and a full time job).

I know i've thrown things before because i either got no polite replies or the only polite ones were from my stalker carbooter.

LOL at the mods reply cigarwife not sure they even read your message... i can see a please.
    loves how my "I've been censored" signature has been censored. LOL. Happy Christmas. :xmastree:
  • mttylad
    mttylad Posts: 1,520
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Cigarwife, try your local Freegle group instead.

They are not bound by the extreme Freecycle rules as much so dont have the same stick up their butt :)
  • shelley_crow
    shelley_crow Posts: 1,644 Forumite
    Wanted to vent my annoyance at people actually offering junk. I replied to this add
    offered-various-toys, kids magazines, clothes, suitable for car boot.

Turned out to be a mouldy granny style shopping trolley, ripped and stained clothes (5 items) no toys, no magazines.
    The lot needed to be dumped and thats exactly what i did, some people really take the pee and expect a free dump service.

I couldn't give something that disgusting away- i made my dh clean the rabbit hutch we gave away the other week.

I had a similar encounter.

I was successful in getting a double pushchair for my neighbour. I went and picked it up but it was getting dark. The woman was very nice, I thought it would be great. I dropped it off next door. OMG, I went around to look at it and it was mildewed to high heaven and have furry mould where food had been left on it before it was stored. You wouldn't want to touch this pushchair, let alone put a baby in it! The funny thing was the woman stipulated that she didn't want it to be sold. My neighbours dumped it for her for free. I was shocked.
  • Amanita_2
    Amanita_2 Posts: 1,299 Forumite
    Against the rules, I believe!!

No - discretion of local group.

For eaxmple we allow vouchers and coupons to be offered but not requested ( or we'd be overrun)
  • chickywiggle
    chickywiggle Posts: 5,203
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    WANTED: golden syrup/treacle tins (empty) please

do they think people are going to wash them as well.... don't know about you but i don't fancy that task! it's heard enough getttin it off the spoon.
    loves how my "I've been censored" signature has been censored. LOL. Happy Christmas. :xmastree:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure