Replacing faulty goods with refirbished ones

2»

Comments

• "Do you understand that the warranty offered is in addition to your rights under the Sale of Goods Act? It seems you are getting the two mixed up. Even after the warranty has expired you can still expect resolution for a faulty product under SOGA, but you'll probably need to prove that the fault was inherent and not caused by misuse."

Yes I have been reading that (up to 6 years I believe?).
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Weaver7 wrote: »
    Yes I understand the rationale, but It doesn't mean I have to agree with it.

But why should Amazon (or any retailer) have to replace a 10 month old, used item, with a brand new one?

I also understand a product has to be fit for purpose and when something develops a fault within an unacceptable timeframe, I shouldn't as a consumer just have to accept that.

Correct. Which is why Amazon have replaced your Kindle, and not just told you to take a hike!

Hopefully the next one they send you will be fine, and you will actually be in a better place than you were with the original Kindle. You will have a longer warranty, and most probably a newer Kindle.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Thats up to six years to claim . It does not mean six years warranty .
    If you believe the product is not fit for purpose then simply go via SOGA .
    Independent engineers report to prove your point is required .

What is the actual fault on both these units ??.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    "Do you understand that the warranty offered is in addition to your rights under the Sale of Goods Act? It seems you are getting the two mixed up. Even after the warranty has expired you can still expect resolution for a faulty product under SOGA, but you'll probably need to prove that the fault was inherent and not caused by misuse."

Yes I have been reading that (up to 6 years I believe?).

That is only when buying from UK companies under UK law (the 6 years comes from the limitations act, not the SoGA).

Amazon is not a UK company (despite their appearance of being so).
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • "What is the actual fault on both these units ??."

The first one has just stopped charging (so I am assuming faulty battery as have tried various plugs/sockets etc) the 2nd one has a fault they haven't even heard of (and I've taken pics to prove it) it will only show a white screen with what looks like the bios page on it and cannot get any further than that to settings or anything.

I really do understand what you are all saying about not expecting a new unit. I suppose I was just 'assuming' that a guarantee of a year meant they would just replace with a new unit and receiving a 2nd faulty one made me see red!
  • Cycrow
    Cycrow Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    even if you did receive a new one, it could have still been faulty.

new doesn't guarantee it wont be faulty.

Stopping charging is a common fault with devices, and is often down to damage to the charging port. This is often considered user damage
  • "Stopping charging is a common fault with devices, and is often down to damage to the charging port. This is often considered user damage"

How can that be classed as user damage? The port is in the same shape it was when we bought it. The Amazon plug still fits in perfectly, it isn't loose or coming out in any way. The kindle fire has to be charged on an almost daily basis, so that cannot be classed as user damage surely?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure