PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

'supporting each other through really tough times'

1121012111212121312141216»

Comments

• Margaret54
    Margaret54 Posts: 842 Forumite
    A very warm welcome to Sweetpea Cottage and hope you enjoy being here with a wonderful bunch of people. I have found this place a life saver on manys a day, and I look on these people as my friends.
    There are great supportive people on here, and for many even when they are struggling with their own worries and health problems, they still reach out with understanding and kindness.
    Do a little kindness every day.;)
  • Margaret54
    Margaret54 Posts: 842 Forumite
    Sorry if I have left out anyone else who has just joined here. Sweetpea Cottage's name has stayed with me because I love those wee flowers:) I have lots of green strawberries now just waiting on them blushing pink:) and am very happy with them. We only started to grow them last year, and enjoyed them then. Lots of pavlova's again hopefully. I have peas growing for the first time and they are doing very well too. Then we have potatoes in pots so hopefully they will do well too. Sunny day here and dry so washing in machine hopefully hung out later:) Have a good weekend everyone and a big hug for those who need one. I look around my wee garden and feel blessed and also for the happiness little things bring Margaret xx
    Do a little kindness every day.;)
  • peony40
    peony40 Posts: 645 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Afternoon all,

sweetpea cottage, what a lovely name. I love sweetpeas, my mum before her stroke always used to have a trough of them planted outside the kitchen door.

I love this thread and I am always reading it, but feel bad as I have very rarely posted. However, I am feeling brighter with my health now and have a brain which is slowly able to function and form a more meaningful sentence (fibro fog has a lot to answer for :o)

Also, times are tough on a personal level as we are now down to one income with me having to give up work over two years ago due to ill health and my savings are now all gone. We can manage on my hubby's salary but it is tight.

Hubby has taken the car to the mechanic to see what the damage is (it is leaking petrol), and I am going to go and make a weetabix cake ready for hubby's return.

Take care all.
    Sealed Pot Challenge # 003
    August 2023 Grocery Challenge: Wk 2 £31.39/40 Wk 3 £35.18/40 (savings: £13.43)
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    edited 21 June 2013 at 2:44PM
    Hi Peony, lovely to see you post :)

Welcome Sweet Pea, hopefully you'll come back to chat with us more. :)

Those elderflowers are still illusive! I've had a major walk with dog today and can I heck find any.

Question about minted peas. If I finely chop mint and add it to mushy peas will they be minted or is there a more complicated process involved? :o

Edit: Should we have a new thread anyway? It's over 12000 posts now and the rule used to be when get to 10K that a new one is started. How would you all feel about not being part of the tough ideals and calling it The Virtual Doorstep - OS support in modern times. That way the 'tough' lovers can make the tough threads into what they want them to be, they don't have to read our thread and we get to support and be supported in an OS till our hearts content.

I have to say how silly though, grown adults changing a click through title on the same forum, in the same place, with the same people just to stop jibes from fellow adults.:cool:
  • Mrs_Chip
    Mrs_Chip Posts: 1,819 Forumite
    I put sprigs of mint in with peas (fresh or frozen) when cooking them - same with new potatoes.

You could use fresh mint in mushy peas, but I use a teaspoon of mint sauce - the stuff you add vinegar to, and a good shake of ground white pepper.
    Made some just this morning for the lunchtime service!
    Think big thoughts but relish small pleasures
  • topsyturphy
    topsyturphy Posts: 1,636 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I just wanted to say I lurk on this thread and find it lovely to read and helpful too.
  • Possession
    Possession Posts: 3,262 Forumite
    Hello Peony, my favourite flower. I used to have sweet peas growing wild in my garden in Leytonstone, they popped up in the same place every year. A miracle since as far as I could see there was no soil in that bit of the patio, just concrete.
    Your badger sounds particularly clever Mrs C.
    I have to get these rabbits drinking from a syringe, or at least eating leaves with water on, which they are currently rejecting. Otherwise they have to be admitted this afternoon which will cause no end of trauma with DD. Any ideas? I've followed instructions for a 'bunny burrito' on youtube, but frankly telling me to cover my rabbits eyes so they remain still while you wrap a towel round them is laughable. And then using another arm to open their mouth and stick a syringe in, just how many arms do they think I've got?!
    Ginny I've just read about DH, I hope the 2nd scan is soon, the waiting must be horrible.
    Edit to say: Hello Topsyturphy. Nice to hear from you.
  • I will probably remain mostly a lurker as I can't keep up with threads...I try not to spend too much time online. But I will endeavour to post when I can. Off to walk the mutt now over the fields and down to the river.
  • juliettet
    juliettet Posts: 726 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Thank you Mrs LW for the elderflower champagne recipe. I have a large tree of it at the bottom of the garden. (will send you some Fuddle). What caps do you use?
    J.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Fuddle has kindly offered to open a new tougher thread as this one has got vey long. :)

So I'll close this one now and you can find the new thread here:

The OS Doorstop - a helpful and supportive thread in these tough times

Pink
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills