4x4 Vehicles - Should they be banned from Town/City Centres

zincoxide
zincoxide Posts: 1,135 Forumite
I'm a great believer that the only reason people should have a 4x4 is if they intend to take it off road, own a farm or live somewhere where the roads require it.

Surely the idea of taking little Tariq to school in a 4x4, although great for the occupants, is increasing the risk of serious injury to pedestrians due to the height of the vehicle i.e. childs head height.

Just thinking - who would like to see them banned from town or city centres?
Treat others as you would like to be treated :A

Should 4x4 vehicles be banned from town/city centres 184 votes

Yes - They are a hazard
59% 109 votes
No - They protect the occupants
15% 29 votes
I have one and disagree
9% 18 votes
I have one and agree they should be banned
1% 2 votes
Other - please post reason
14% 26 votes

Comments

• balsingh
    balsingh Posts: 1,493 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I completely agree with you .... but in a world where being trendy and flash is more important than the safety/fuel economy aspect, I reckon you will see even more of these. In a recent survey I saw on TV, mothers who use these cars for school runs said they felt the size of the car made them feel safer if they were to be involved in a an accident.

What I will never understand is why people want to drive these cars which give you under 20mpg, are so slow cos of the weight, cost tons to insure and are impossible to park.
    If you found my comment helpful, please click the 'Thanks' button below :T
  • blue_haddock
    blue_haddock Posts: 12,110 Forumite
    Sorry but people who want to ban 4x4's from towns really do annoy me. I don't tell you what TV you can and can't watchso why can you tell me what i can and can't drive?

And where do you draw the line? the subaru impreza is a 4x4 so would that be banned? and what about the 2wd drive versions of things like the Honda CRV? it's still the same size as it's 4wd brother but it's only 2wd so would that be allowed in town?

Balsingh "why people want to drive these cars which give you under 20mpg, are so slow cos of the weight, cost tons to insure and are impossible to park"

I regularly drive a Landrover Defender V8 - thanks to LPG it give the equivalent to 45mpg. It is definately not slow, cost less than £300 a year to insure and it fits in a standard parking space but due to it being 4wd i can also park it in places where normal cars couldn't.
  • nej
    nej Posts: 1,526 Forumite
    I really hate the anti 4x4 brigade. And I mean, REALLY hate them. Petty, small-minded busy-bodies with a stick up their backsides.

I used to have a Freelander. Lovely car. Diesel. Won't even go that far off-road. Obviously the work of Satan himself. I then replaced it with a VW Passat which was longer, so took up more space on the road and was more difficult to park, and did far less MPG. Guess what vehicle I was safer in and able to control better in bad weather conditions such as heavy rain or snow? Wasn't the VW...

Can we therefore also have a ban on MPVs, as they are higher than normal cars also. Oh, and vans. And lorries. And buses.

The only point I will agree on is with bullbars, which are unneccessary in towns and cities, but can be acceptable in the countryside.

And as for the environment angle? What a load of rubbish! My car does 40mpg and yours does 35? Terrible! That's a whole 12.5% worse! I remember these adverts in the US that accused 4x4 owners of supporting terrorism by using more petrol... hmm, so it's Ok that normal car owners are also doing this, but not quite as much?
  • intel
    intel Posts: 6,404 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    They should be banned full stop except for farmers.

And road Tax should be 400quid a year for all the road damage they cause.
  • blue_haddock
    blue_haddock Posts: 12,110 Forumite
    intel wrote:
    They should be banned full stop except for farmers.

And road Tax should be 400quid a year for all the road damage they cause.

Can you prove that my Landrover damages the roads more than something like a BMW 7 Series or Mercedes S Class? They are longer, wider, just as heavy and not as economical as my vehicle.

And what happens if you are not a farmer but live in hilly area's where the 4wd is useful in times of bad weather?
  • intel
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Can you prove that my Landrover damages the roads more than something like a BMW 7 Series or Mercedes S Class? They are longer, wider, just as heavy and not as economical as my vehicle.

And what happens if you are not a farmer but live in hilly area's where the 4wd is useful in times of bad weather?

Its not the wieght its the big chunky tyres that excessively grips the road
    as proven by the department of transport the VBRA and Top Gear.

Hey they all say that not me.. P.S my brothers getting a Honda CRV
    and well I think hes a ruddy idiot for doing so.....

To me its just another Van with a Bully behind the wheel driving.

But thats my opinion. :beer:
  • iwanttosave_2
    iwanttosave_2 Posts: 34,292 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    They should be banned from everyone barring people that will actually use to 4x4 mode, and under no circmstances let a bloody woman have one. I am fed up od women at school, trying to get down the narrow lane in a bullet proof, tinted windowed range rover, whose wheel arches are that clean the closest they have ever come to mud is on DS wellies.

There is no need for a car that big when a hatch or estate will do just as good, look at the size of a Porsche Cayenne, there is absolutly no need for it, if we are keeping them shove a massive road tax levey on them.
    Work like you don't need money,
    Love like you've never been hurt,
    And dance like no one's watching
    Save the cheerleader, save the world!
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    the bars on the front should be banned - they are designed to prevent being marooned in the desert or outback by animal impact damage to the cooling system, not look trendy at the expense of a huge increase in the risk of killing children
  • intel
    Combo Breaker First Post
    P.S The Maibatsu Monstrosity, is a fictional Vehicle from Grand Theft Auto
    so 4x4 lovers dont try and buy it youll get a funny look.
  • iwanttosave_2
    iwanttosave_2 Posts: 34,292 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    :(

maibatsu.jpg
    Work like you don't need money,
    Love like you've never been hurt,
    And dance like no one's watching
    Save the cheerleader, save the world!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories