Reclaiming PPI through a company - who's the best?

universitygirl88
universitygirl88 Posts: 3 Newbie
edited 26 January 2017 at 5:18PM in Reclaim PPI & other insurance
MoneySavingExpert Insert:

This discussion's a bit old now. For the latest research check our guides: Reclaim PPI for free and Reclaim Credit Card PPI Free

Back to the original post...

Hi
I am looking to reclaim PPI which I believe was misold to me. I understand that I can write letters to the comapny myself in order to make a claim. However I am very busy and am likely to be in and out of the country for the next few months. Therefore I am happy to pay a company to do it for me. Does anyone know the best company to use for this? Also what do they tend to charge? Your help would be much appreciated!

Comments

• di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Hi
    I am looking to reclaim PPI which I believe was misold to me. I understand that I can write letters to the comapny myself in order to make a claim. However I am very busy and am likely to be in and out of the country for the next few months. Therefore I am happy to pay a company to do it for me. Does anyone know the best company to use for this? Also what do they tend to charge? Your help would be much appreciated!

Hi there and welcome.;)

Personally I would not go through any company, I had some messing and withdrawn and with my experience would not go this direction again, others here have been through it as well, so personally if I were you give it a go yourself, all free with help from this site with templates etc, more info on the link below, if you decide to want to do this yourself and require any help, please just ask, its actually quite easy, you only pay for the posting within the post office, and this way you get to keep all your PPI refund if successful - where otherwise you would be charged with claiming through a company.
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/ppi-loan-insurance

Ask for help if required, all the best.:)
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • J_i_m
    J_i_m Posts: 1,342 Forumite
    Do it yourself, some companies charge as much as 40%, which is simply a rip off.
    :www: Progress Report :www:
    Offer accepted: £107'000
    Deposit: £23'000
    Mortgage approved for: £84'000
    Exchanged: 2/3/16
    :T ... complete on 9/3/16 ... :T
  • marshallka
    marshallka Posts: 14,585 Forumite
    J_i_m wrote: »
    Do it yourself, some companies charge as much as 40%, which is simply a rip off.
    Even 15/20% is a rip off.;)
  • judles1
    judles1 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Can understand you wanting someone else to deal with it.I have loads of info missing,when your not money minded,letting experienced people deal with it can look like a safer and easier option.I have been plagued by reclaim companies approaches but had never considered I had been mis-sold as we knew we took the cover and agreed to take it.Eventually I gave some info to these firms and they insisted I had a claim.I allowed 1 firm to send a claim pack after they made repeated calls and promises of no hidden costs.25% no win no fee + VAT.Still doubtful,I checked all the small print and found audit fees would apply,amount would be variable depending on ease of audit (could charge what they liked) and this would be charged whether claim was successful or not! NO THANKS.
    The next firm that sent a claim pack had no hidden costs but would accept any offer whether you agreed with the amount being fair or not.I started looking into terms of mis-selling on this website and process of making a claim.Some of the discoveries I've made on my policies have shocked the hell out of me because of cover and rip off pricing and all because I trusted the banks suggestions because THEY KNOW WHAT THEIR TAlKING ABOUT. After feeling i've been ripped off royally by the bank,I'll be damned if I'll be ripped off again by a reclaim company.My husband works his nuts off to pay the bills, we've lost enough as it is so why hand over almost half of a successful claim for something that is achievable yourself.The amount I'll eventually be claiming that would be awarded to a reclaim co. is more than I could earn in a fortnight! It does feel daunting and I do feel stupid with questions (experts probably think i'm a moron)
    but I'm determined to see it through.If my paperwork had been complete,things would be a lot easier.If you have your records in order,all it will take is a few letters in between waiting periods.If money is no issue..do what suits you best but remember to thoroughly check what chunk of your claim they will take.Do it yourself and the amount you save could pay for your trips out of the country.
    Best of Luck!!!!!! 'The money moron'
  • judles1
    judles1 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Can understand you wanting someone else to deal with it.I have loads of info missing,when your not money minded,letting experienced people deal with it can look like a safer and easier option.I have been plagued by reclaim companies approaches but had never considered I had been mis-sold as we knew we took the cover and agreed to take it.Eventually I gave some info to these firms and they insisted I had a claim.I allowed 1 firm to send a claim pack after they made repeated calls and promises of no hidden costs.25% no win no fee + VAT.Still doubtful,I checked all the small print and found audit fees would apply,amount would be variable depending on ease of audit (could charge what they liked) and this would be charged whether claim was successful or not! NO THANKS.
    The next firm that sent a claim pack had no hidden costs but would accept any offer whether you agreed with the amount being fair or not.I started looking into terms of mis-selling on this website and process of making a claim.Some of the discoveries I've made on my policies have shocked the hell out of me because of cover and rip off pricing and all because I trusted the banks suggestions because THEY KNOW WHAT THEIR TAlKING ABOUT. After feeling i've been ripped off royally by the bank,I'll be damned if I'll be ripped off again by a reclaim company.My husband works his nuts off to pay the bills, we've lost enough as it is so why hand over almost half of a successful claim for something that is achievable yourself.The amount I'll eventually be claiming that would be awarded to a reclaim co. is more than I could earn in a fortnight! It does feel daunting and I do feel stupid with questions (experts probably think i'm a moron)
    but I'm determined to see it through.If my paperwork had been complete,things would be a lot easier.If you have your records in order,all it will take is a few letters in between waiting periods.If money is no issue..do what suits you best but remember to thoroughly check what chunk of your claim they will take.Do it yourself and the amount you save could pay for your trips out of the country.
    Best of Luck!!!!!! 'The money moron'
  • amersall
    amersall Posts: 17,005 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    So that was £1000 less for you to spend then.

THIS WAS A NICE FREE ADVERT FOR THE CLAIM COMPANY YOU USED.

NICE ONE!.
  • smitchy73
    smitchy73 Posts: 2,558 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    All you need is the account number, and your reasons for mis-sell, fill in the FOS Consumer Questionnaire, make a copy of it, send it recorded delivery to your bank/building society, you'll probably wait a couple of months before it gets sorted so if you're in and out of the company it won't make much difference.
    Some banks even allow you to kick off your complaint over the phone, I believe RBS, HBOS, possibly Barclays as well, others may be able to tell you more.
    Don't go to the companies, save yourself a fortune, they can't do it better, or quicker and even if the bank denies your complaint of mis-selling you can go to the FOS.
    Thanks to all the competition posters.
  • smitchy73
    Meant to say the best company to use is Money Saving Expert, PPI reclaiming forum team, comprising, the wonderful dynamic Di, the absolutely amazing Amersall, capitalising cappo, there's mysterious marshalka, and many others to share their experience's, and I may put my tuppence worth in, hehe
  • amersall
    amersall Posts: 17,005 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    smitchy73 wrote: »
    Meant to say the best company to use is Money Saving Expert, PPI reclaiming forum team, comprising, the wonderful dynamic Di, the absolutely amazing Amersall, capitalising cappo, there's mysterious marshalka, and many others to share their experience's, and I may put my tuppence worth in, hehe

Cheers dears :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

You do know this thread is from last year dont you :rotfl::rotfl:
    I realised,but i left my comment on from the person praising the claim company :p:p:p

Older and dafter springs to mind :rotfl:you are in good company with me :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • smitchy73
    amersall wrote: »
    Cheers dears :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

You do know this thread is from last year dont you :rotfl::rotfl:
    I realised,but i left my comment on from the person praising the claim company :p:p:p

Older and dafter springs to mind :rotfl:you are in good company with me :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Yep, it's all this hot weather we're having up here in bonnie scotland, it's going to my brains.......completely fried:eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport