Voluntary redundancy/retirement &JSA

I am taking voluntary redundancy and early retirement next month. My pension isn't very generous and I will be looking for part time work. My husband says that I can claim JSA. Is this correct even though I have left work voluntarily

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    You can claim JSA as long as you are looking for work.

Any earned income(pensions count as earned income) can effect the actual payment(still get the NI credit).

(unless it has changed VR was OK for JSA claims from the date of termination)
  • lucylot
    lucylot Posts: 53 Forumite
    I know I will only be able to claim contribution based JSA due to savings and joint income. I wasn't sure that I'd be able to claim anything because I was leaving voluntarily. Thanks for your advice
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You said also that you were going to retire early. In which case you cant claim Jsa. Have you been paying fill Ni contributions
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • getmore4less
    you can still claim JSA if still under state pension age, even if you have a pension.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,784 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    you can still claim JSA if still under state pension age, even if you have a pension.

But as far as I know the pension income will be deducted from the JSA amount, even if you qualify for contributions based JSA, so you may only end up with NI credits.
  • getmore4less
    p00hsticks wrote: »
    But as far as I know the pension income will be deducted from the JSA amount, even if you qualify for contributions based JSA, so you may only end up with NI credits.

That's what I said in the first reply....
  • lucylot
    Thanks for all your advice. I am 6 years off getting my State Pension. I have enough NI conts for the full SP so unless they are going to pay me JSA no point claiming it
  • getmore4less
    At £73.1pw and a £4£ reduction any pension money will make it not worth the effort to satisfy JC+.

you could defer the pension a few months but is it worth it, especially if you fancy a break.

Also the JSA is taxable, depending on the redundancy payout, pension and any new job income you could end up seeing some of it disappear anyway.
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,666 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    lucylot wrote: »
    Thanks for all your advice. I am 6 years off getting my State Pension. I have enough NI conts for the full SP so unless they are going to pay me JSA no point claiming it

Have you had a state pension forecast? If you were ever contracted out then due to the changes last year you might still be able to increase your pension.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • lucylot
    I have had a state pension forecast and the amount I will get is reduced because I have been in a local govt pension scheme and have been contracted out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure