LCS chasing outstanding water bill

Just seeking some advice or to find out if anyone has received something similar.
I received a letter from LCS based in Leeds. They want me to pay an outstanding Thames Water invoice for a flat I own. I came close to paying on-line as looked legitimate and they had correctly quoted the time period that the flat was unoccupied, however something didn't seem quite right so I called Thames Water. Their customer service team claim never to have heard of LCS and also informed me that the account is not in arrears and the new tenant is the named account holder. Who can I report these people to? Any similar experiences out there?

Comments

• footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 26 March 2017 at 3:19PM
    Just seeking some advice or to find out if anyone has received something similar.
    I received a letter from LCS based in Leeds. They want me to pay an outstanding Thames Water invoice for a flat I own. I came close to paying on-line as looked legitimate and they had correctly quoted the time period that the flat was unoccupied, however something didn't seem quite right so I called Thames Water. Their customer service team claim never to have heard of LCS and also informed me that the account is not in arrears and the new tenant is the named account holder. Who can I report these people to? Any similar experiences out there?

I'm not sure who you are referring to.

If you feel it is a scam (going by the user name you elected) then you can report it to actionfraud
    http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/report_fraud

But LCS is a well know recovery agent. Yes there are lots of threads on this site and other consumer based sites about them.
    LCS is a trading style of 1st Locate (UK) Ltd

You can see their website here
    https://www.firstnow.co.uk/

which includes details of who they are authorised and regulated by (for specific puposes)

It may simply be an error has been made. Perhaps by LCS, perhaps indeed by Thames Water. Maybe, for example, Thames Water say there is no outstanding debt as LCS bought the debt off them.

I suggest you start, like you should with any alleged debt that you do not recognise, by getting them to prove the debt. If you don't know how to do this, go to the CAB or contact any other debt charity.

Debts won't go away by you ignoring them, or wasting everyones time reporting the matter to others.
    (a) request proof of the debt
    then
    (b) defend your position if appropriate.

Only report it as a scam once you feel confident it really is a scam.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure