Divorced for being too money saving!

Comments

• Oh come now. What's not to like ? A man who takes his responsibilities, and his role seriously ? Someone loving, and caring, who is deeply loyal, and will fight for the rights of his partner? Who would share everything with his wife, and be her best friend. Just because it would be nice to have an evening meal in the pot, after a 12 hour shift, doesn't mean he'll complain. He might actually be glad of time in the kitchen to unwind.
    The only thing that has upset this particular man in the last year is the refusal of his wife to take a slow puncture in her car to a local tyre place because SHE thinks "that's a man's job". Despite the fact that he is 120 miles away working, and won't be home for 3 days.
    If she knows there's a slow puncture then she's risking her life, the possibility of a serious accident maybe involving other innocent people, and there isn't always a man conveniently to hand to get it sorted for her (except for the tyre-fitters who do this for a living).

Just get down to the nearest tyre place ASAP. If she's the driver of the car then it's HER job, no one else's! I just hope she isn't on the same bit of road as I am when it goes 'bang'.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • Sugar and ketchup sachets are good for taking abroad.
    Freeze some sausages and they'll last the journey. Then the morning after you arrive you can have proper sausages with normal ketchup. No more waste buying a whole new jar when you only need a little bit.
  • Great for camping and picnics too!
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Do men want money saving wife's ? No. We want to give you an allowance and keep some for ourselves, save the rest for holidays, and cars, and SHTF, and let you get on with running the house, whilst we go down the pub, but buy flowers on a Friday Evening, just like in my Grandad's dad.

We don't care how you save, or eak out the megre allowance, just that a meal is on the table, when we get home.

Sexist ? Indeed, but given the choice that's how men would be happy.

I just had to ask my OH for his view on this.

He said: "Everyone would love a servant who works for expenses but that's a whole other thing."
  • This made me laugh, remind me of something my ex wife said
  • terra_ferma
    terra_ferma Posts: 5,484 Forumite
    Myself and my OH have different views but we compromise, I think it's more about how two people deal with stuff, then the actual differences. If one only wants to do things their way (not saying that was you OP), things are not going to work.
    But it could be about how to spend money, where to go on holiday etc.

A friend of mine just finished a relationship, and one of the problems was that one was spending the money without consulting the other. None of them was particularly thrifty, or careless with money, it was just about sharing decision making, and willingness to compromise.
  • I remember my Granny had a large cupboard larder.., full of x number of tins and bottles of stuff she was hoarding. Yes, it came from the shortages of the war, but I remember it fondly. If you wanted something, she always had it in her magic larder lol. Obviously I don't do the same.

I grew up in a household where there was no pleasure.., money was only for hoarding.., no treats nothing. Admitedly at first my parents were incredibly short of money.., but this continued when they were quite wealthy. I remember the worry every time income was a bit short, inspite of savings being there to overcome a temporary short fall.

I on the other hand budget carefully, don't waste money but oh yes, there is money for treats. My children have fun, fun is good. Sometimes it costs money most of the time it doesn't.

I will never put having money in the bank above having a smile on my children's faces (although this doesn't mean they don't hear the word 'no' fairly often.., my children know that some things have to be saved up for and that having money put away for a rainy day is good.., but not at the expense of everything else).

I am a single parent, I have had two long term relationships.., some of what went wrong WAS about money because they'd spend money I couldn't afford on things I'd put behind paying the bills. They didn't agree. But obviously I chose these men. Why I don't know now lol.
  • Ivrytwr3
    Ivrytwr3 Posts: 6,282 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I'm a gorgeous 42 year old money saving Mum to twins that are just over 2.

...and if there's any single tall, dark, handsome money saving Dads out there....who would value a money saving, savvy gorgeous girlfriend...then please get in touch.

Michelle

What about a single tall, dark, handsome very wealthy Dad who would quite happily lavish gifts and kisses on a gorgeous girlfriend and who also speaks French?

Moi?
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 22 November 2013 at 8:17PM
    I think maybe the sugar satchets was the straw that broke the camels back. It was probably a catalyst, an action that made him review his own aspirations and how you fitted into them.
    Maybe you failed to share control, or he felt he had no voting rights, as indicated by the words "I never let my ex (or I) go without luxuries, treats or nice holidays"
    Suggests to me like, you had control, and he did not have an equal control.
    One of the issues in my marriage, has been that with money tight and a joint account, neither of us felt that we had any say. I felt like I had to ask permission to spend money, and felt selfish if I spent more than the bear minimum. My wife irritates me by attempting to justify any spending that wasn't planned. I'm not interested. You spent it, which is fine, but that means we have to reduce spending somewhere else, which is fine. Does that cause friction? You bet. But I never ever say, she wasn't justified in the expenditure.

I think maybe that he might have felt your control was TOO one sided.

Do men want money saving wife's ? No. We want to give you an allowance and keep some for ourselves, save the rest for holidays, and cars, and SHTF, and let you get on with running the house, whilst we go down the pub, but buy flowers on a Friday Evening, just like in my Grandad's dad.

We don't care how you save, or eak out the megre allowance, just that a meal is on the table, when we get home.

Sexist ? Indeed, but given the choice that's how men would be happy.

I'm glad I'm not married to you lol! No offence, but I earn my own money, why should my husband keep me? If you want a housekeeper/chef then hire one with the extra money you wouldn't have to give me as I can keep myself.

Why does it have to be all or nothing? My bf and I worked out how much all of our joint monthly expenses cost, split it down the middle and pay our share of the rent and bill money plus £50 each for meals out, cinema etc. and money for food shopping into a shared account which is only used for supermarket shopping and meals out together. Then the rest of our individual money is ours. The only member of my family still married after 20 years does the same yet everyone criticises them for not sharing everything. Well, I guess they have had the last laugh.

And people wonder why I don't ever want to get married? :eek:
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • The op never came back lol
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport