Offered same role after made redundant

Hi there

Hoping you can help.

My company has recently made my role redundant (I received the redundancy letter and package). Ahead of this, someone in a similar role resigned but they said they were reducing roles by one more (therefore I was still at risk of red.); a higher role then became available (had to be created) but they said I did not have the skills for it (and my other colleagues at my level did not either).

I was made redundant at the start of April and said I would appeal. I sent my appeal letter citing different things that did not appear consistent throughout the process. Ahead of that, my employer had sent me a letter by post saying a role at my level had become available in the team as someone else had resigned. They want to know if I want to take it.

Is this ok? What does this do to my appeal?

All the best
Ana

Comments

• Scorpio33
    Scorpio33 Posts: 745
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    If you appealed the redundancy, what outcome would you want? My guess is that you would want a role in the company still, rather than being made redundant.

They have given you a role in the company.

So you now do one of two things: Accept the role and retract the appeal or reject the role and continue the appeal?

The only thing is the company could argue this other role is a suitable alternative role and state that if you don't take it, you would be resigning (and in effect not receive any redundancy pay).
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    what do you want?

There seems to be two options.

The redundancy was genuine so keep it and start a new contract.
    (HMRC might not like it if there was a big tax free payout)

You agree that this is just a continuation of the old job no break in service.(come to some arrangement over the money but it should be declared and taxed)
    (the reasons don't really matter eg. the grievance just get dropped)
  • getmore4less
    Forumite
    Scorpio33 wrote: »
    If you appealed the redundancy, what outcome would you want? My guess is that you would want a role in the company still, rather than being made redundant.

They have given you a role in the company.

So you now do one of two things: Accept the role and retract the appeal or reject the role and continue the appeal?

The only thing is the company could argue this other role is a suitable alternative role and state that if you don't take it, you would be resigning (and in effect not receive any redundancy pay).

I read they had already been terminated and finished....

Suitable alternatives must be offered before termination and started within 4 weeks
  • Scorpio33
    Scorpio33 Posts: 745
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I read they had already been terminated and finished....

Suitable alternatives must be offered before termination and started within 4 weeks

For statutory redundancy, yes. But if it contained enhanced redundancy, most firms will have a clause whereby you have to pay it back if you return to the company within a certain period (sometimes a year)
  • getmore4less
    Forumite
    Scorpio33 wrote: »
    For statutory redundancy, yes. But if it contained enhanced redundancy, most firms will have a clause whereby you have to pay it back if you return to the company within a certain period (sometimes a year)

And if they don't offer something in return like restoration of continuity of service you can turn it down.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure