Very noisy front brake on cycle

Oh my days, this is driving me potty!!

Can anyone explain WHY my front brake only (not the back) is so noisy. It squeals so loudly when I use it. Is there anything I can do to cure this, and once it's cured, to stop it happening again?

I am pretty sure there is a lot of eye rolling going on now, and it's probably very straightforward, but indulge me :D

Comments

• elverson
    elverson Posts: 808 Forumite
    Have you cleaned the bike recently? If not, wipe the rims on both sides down and clean the inside of the brake blocks (an old toothbrush will do).

(Assuming you don't have disk brakes).
  • warehouse
    warehouse Posts: 3,362 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    My disk brakes always seem to squeal after I've used the pressure washer on my bike. Goes after a few days use.
    Pants
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Usually caused by oil or grease on the rims. As above, good clean with degreaser should sort it.

Sometimes caused by badly fitted breaks, while your round there check everything is tightly fitted. Even a little bit of wiggle can cause vibration problems.
  • summetj
    summetj Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Google how to "toe" your brake blocks (think thats the phrase) sometimes the alignment of the blocks can cause them to squeal
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    This can happen if the pads have become contaminated with oil, detergent or degreaser.

You could try cleaning the pads with disc brake cleaner. If they still squeal, you can try sanding down the outer layer of the brake pads. Failing that, you'd have to replace the brake pads.
  • grahamgoo
    grahamgoo Posts: 473 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    A bit more info from the O.P. about the type of brakes would be useful - at least whether they are rim brakes or disc brakes.
  • Thank you. I assume they are not disc brakes. They look like a pair of pincers on either side of the wheel.

The bike is only six months old, and quite lightly ridden. Not every day, but I use it to get to work at least three times a week - three miles each way along a cycle path which is a mixture of rough path and tarmac.

I will have a go at cleaning it up with degreaser and see if that makes a difference.

Thank you for the replies.
  • You need to set the brake blocks with some toe-in.
  • elverson
    elverson Posts: 808 Forumite
    If you haven't cleaned your chain/gears in that time - do that as well.
  • Tetra
    Tetra Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Photogenic
    HurdyGurdy wrote: »
    Can anyone explain WHY my front brake only (not the back) is so noisy.

Often it's the position of your brake pads. Try to ensure they hit the middle of the rim at 90° to the nearest spoke.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure