Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MissKayleigh
    • By MissKayleigh 19th May 17, 11:15 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    MissKayleigh
    HELP! Renters contents insurance
    • 19th May 17, 11:15 AM
    HELP! Renters contents insurance 19th May 17 at 11:15 AM
    Hi,

Apologies if this has been asked before.

Myself and my partner are renting for the first time and have been asked by the letting agent to take out contents insurance cover that MUST include cover for accidental damage to contents/fixtures/fittings etc. that belong to the landlord and not us. This is fine, however, the quote by the letting agents partner company seems high and I was wondering what kind of cover I would then need to be looking for when shopping around to get a better deal? (renting is already expensive enough!) Is it still only contents insurance we need or do we then have to include buildings cover as these are the only options on comparison sites?

Sorry for the long post, please advise if you can!
Page 1
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 19th May 17, 11:27 AM
    • 59,233 Posts
    • 345,795 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 19th May 17, 11:27 AM
    • 19th May 17, 11:27 AM
    No idea how they compare for price, but I used Endsleigh 10 years ago for just this type of insurance. They've been around donkeys' years.

It's an optional extra on this:
    https://www.endsleigh.co.uk/personal/home-insurance/tenants-contents_insurance/

Upgrade your policy to include full accidental damage cover to protect your contents within your home. If you’re a tenant, we’ll also cover the landlord’s contents that you’re responsible for under your tenancy agreement such as curtains and lampshades.
    I remember when I took out my insurance I had the windows/doors cover too - so that should it be broken into/windows smashed, then I could get the locks/windows fixed immediately, rather than having to wait for the landlord to get round to arranging for it to be done.
    • FutureGirl
    • By FutureGirl 19th May 17, 7:13 PM
    • 858 Posts
    • 345 Thanks
    FutureGirl
    • 19th May 17, 7:13 PM
    • 19th May 17, 7:13 PM
    I rent. My insurance is £12pm and includes damage to parts of the flat that I am legally liable for.

My insurer calls it 'tenants liability' - so make sure that is an addition to the policy (it usually comes as standard or not at all, I don't believe it's an optional extra), but you will need accidental damage cover as an optional extra.

Don't go with the letting agents quote - it'll be high and cover you for barely anything.
    Capital One:£1,259.40/£1,300.00
    Aqua: £273.29/£300.00
    o2: £221.00 / £271.00
    • G Gy
    • By G Gy 31st May 17, 5:07 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    G Gy
    • 31st May 17, 5:07 PM
    • 31st May 17, 5:07 PM
    I was in the same situation. The recommended company by the agent (homelet) gave me a 180£ quote.
    I kept researching and finally got a smashing 75£ (annually) deal from Axa. They cover tenants liability as standard up to 12k. I took their cheapest policy with accidental damage cover. Try checking with them. Good luck!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,603Posts Today

5,447Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin