Best 5.7+ inch phone with Band 20 at a reasonable price?

Options

Comments

• Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    john22 wrote: »
    Guys I don't follow Samsung closely but I have heard chatter that the note 8 will be coming out later this year, maybe August or September. If you can hold off and save the money then wait till then.

So far the Note 8 isn't looking like it will be much different aside from a very slightly larger screen (although still 18:9), a stylus and dual cameras although a smaller battery. The rumoured fingerprint scanner under the screen isn't happening and it's going to be in the same unfavourable spot as the S8+

John
  • Johnmcl7
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    Well, problem solved for me. My o2 contract is due to expire in the next month or two, so i've signed up to the latest BT Mobile offer.

I'm getting 20GB data, unlimited texts, unlimited calls for £16 per month and a £100 Amazon voucher. Its a one year contract, so £7.66 per month.

Because BT Mobile use the EE network it removed the Band 20 restriction for me that i had with o2, and the global version of the Xiaomi Mi MIX 6.4 inch with the 256GB storage and 6GB RAM works in 4G here just fine, so i've opted for it.

Ordered from banggood.com for £425 delivered.

:beer:

I spent a long time trying to decide on the Mi Mix as it's the only phone I saw that I really wanted, the design of it just looks like the sort of rubbish you see as a photo for a clickbait article but of course it's real. Too many issues with it for me to go ahead with it although been keeping an eye on the price to perhaps buy it as a secondary device.

John
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Johnmcl7 wrote: »
    I spent a long time trying to decide on the Mi Mix as it's the only phone I saw that I really wanted, the design of it just looks like the sort of rubbish you see as a photo for a clickbait article but of course it's real. Too many issues with it for me to go ahead with it although been keeping an eye on the price to perhaps buy it as a secondary device.

John

Most of the reviews and comments i've seen by owners point towards it being a great phone. Its not perfect but there is a lot of merit with it, particularly at the price. The 6GB of RAM and 256GB storage is phenominal. Thats pretty close to what my i7 laptop is running here now (8GB RAM, 256GB SSD).

I like the fact its a bit of a left field choice (and thus avoiding the Samsung / Apple brans price premium) and i like the idea of the really large screen - phoning people is probably the least frequent thing i do on my phone, so i'm looking forward to the benefit of the bigger screen for everything else.

It will be interesting to see. If its not working out i'd have no hesitation in punting it on and replacing it with something else.

Will update this thread on how it goes.
  • motorguy
    Options
    Johnmcl7 wrote: »
    So far the Note 8 isn't looking like it will be much different aside from a very slightly larger screen (although still 18:9), a stylus and dual cameras although a smaller battery. The rumoured fingerprint scanner under the screen isn't happening and it's going to be in the same unfavourable spot as the S8+

John

Launch price could be as high as £899 which is an awful lot of money for a phone. Wrap that in with a contract with a decent data allowance and you could be paying £70+ a month from someone like o2. :eek:
  • dipsomaniac
    dipsomaniac Posts: 6,739 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    was very tempted by the LG G6 that was on hotukdeals last week for £320 but decided it wasn't that much better than my note 3 which i have had for the last 4 years. will need to upgrade soon but am not going to be paying more than £500 for a phone. hoping note 7 sales will be slow and the price plumets
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
  • Johnmcl7
    Options
    Most of the reviews and comments i've seen by owners point towards it being a great phone. Its not perfect but there is a lot of merit with it, particularly at the price. The 6GB of RAM and 256GB storage is phenominal. Thats pretty close to what my i7 laptop is running here now (8GB RAM, 256GB SSD).

I like the fact its a bit of a left field choice (and thus avoiding the Samsung / Apple brans price premium) and i like the idea of the really large screen - phoning people is probably the least frequent thing i do on my phone, so i'm looking forward to the benefit of the bigger screen for everything else.

It will be interesting to see. If its not working out i'd have no hesitation in punting it on and replacing it with something else.

Will update this thread on how it goes.

I really liked the big screen as well as I'm still using a 6.44in Z Ultra for my drone and the Note 4 screen seems small in comparison but the camera/earpiece were dealbreakers on the Mi Mix for me.

John
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I guess you won't be wearing skinny jeans with a 6.4 inch screen phone?
  • motorguy
    edited 4 July 2017 at 9:40PM
    Options
    DavidP24 wrote: »
    So does that mean you will move after a year?

Otherwise you are comitting to £16 a month.

£425 for high value Chinese phone is brave, I think I would rather a 2nd hand iPhone..

I have the option to move after a year, so i'll see what the deals are then.

I personally wouldnt want a second hand phone, and conversely whilst i could spend £900+ on a phone i dont want to (to get the 256GB variant but with just a 5.5 inch screen)

I'll see how this works out. I like the idea of the big screen and its highly rated. Xiaomi is a well known brand - just not so well known here (directly anyway).

Maybe it is brave - maybe its just plain dumb. I'll update when its arrived and with progress.
  • Johnmcl7
    Options
    I guess you won't be wearing skinny jeans with a 6.4 inch screen phone?

Physically, it's not that big a phone thanks to the minimal bezels. Screen size has been a misleading term for phones for quite some time now and it's going to be even more misleading as phones are trimming down the bezels and maximising the screen to body ratio.

John
  • dipsomaniac
    dipsomaniac Posts: 6,739 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'll update when its arrived and with progress.

interested to see how it compares with the note as still undecided as to what to replace my note3 with
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure