Fixed Bonds

2»

Comments

• EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    alanq wrote: »
    There is a penalty for early withdrawal but at unlike most fixed term bonds the money is not locked in.

True, but is this product really a 'bond' in anything other than name?

Sorry, "locks" was a bad choice of word, my meaning was "ties up" (in order to earn the quoted interest rate). Several current accounts pay 2% with true instant access, so the benefit of an additional 0.2% interest comes with the potential penalty of 90 day's loss of interest. And if you had to withdraw in the first 90 days you may get back less than you 'invested'.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • Vanquis just dropped 3yr rate to 1.8%
  • Sean473
    Sean473 Posts: 88 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I am considering taking out a 3yr fixed rate bond with Vanquis. The offer is for 1.9% gross for up to 250k max. I only have about 16k to invest but it's a lot to me.
    Whilst this offer is the best I can find, I haven't found anyone else recommending it in the forum, neither yay or nay, so I'm wondering if I've missed something.
    Any reassuring thoughts folks? :idea::think

Never heard of them... Are they even legit?
  • Oaknorth has a 3 year fixed at 1.91%, I've never actually heard of them before.
  • Thanks EachPenny for a clear & well explained answer. Def food for thought. :T
  • EachPenny
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Thanks EachPenny for a clear & well explained answer. Def food for thought. :T

Thank you Arian Woman :blush:

Just to be clear though, I'm not saying the NS&I isn't good for some people - I've opened one myself, but only because I have other money at 2% and below which I know will be enough to cover my investing/spending needs over the next three years, so the risk I'll need to take anything out of the NS&I £3k is minimal.
  • EachPenny, I also feel confident that I won't need to withdraw over the next 3 yrs. Annoyingly, they don't seem to want my money. After many attempts & various problems I've got to wait for their site to reset again. They tell me they are aware of the problem. Meanwhile did you notice that I posted Vanquis has lowered their rate?
  • EachPenny
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I also feel confident that I won't need to withdraw over the next 3 yrs.

Sorry, maybe I muddied the waters in trying to make things clearer :o The relevance of the 3 years is about the possibility of getting a higher than 2.2% interest rate on the £3000 during the next three years, not necessarily about needing to use the money for something else.

If you had the option of moving the money out of the NS&I bond to a different account paying more interest during the 3-year term then you have to pay a penalty of 90 day's interest, which means the effective rate you'll get is less than 2.2%.

A current account - lets say BoS Vantage - pays 2%. That rate isn't fixed and could go down, but there is no penalty for withdrawal. So if the rate does go down, or something better comes along, you just move the money elsewhere. But you have 'banked' the 2% interest earned on the money in the time it is in the account, nothing will be deducted.

So the best strategy is to find the account paying the highest rate (currently Nationwide FlexDirect) and fill that first, then the next highest rate and so on. In theory the NS&I 2.2% bond would come before the current accounts paying 2% - however because of the fixed-term you have to weigh the additional 0.2% against the potential loss of opportunity, or loss of interest.

In my case, what I'm saying is that if things stay roughly as they are, then the way I have my money spread I think it unlikely that I'll have everything at 2.2% or above within the next three years, so there will be no urge to take money out of the NS&I bond before then. On the other hand, if rates improve to the extent that 2.2% looks bad, then I probably won't mind taking the 90 day loss of interest hit :)

So the NS&I at 2.2% is good - so long as you have exploited all other options, and have sufficient money earning under 2.2% to mean the NS&I £3000 can remain untouched for the whole of the 3-year term.

Hope that is a bit clearer.

As for the Vanquis rate, I did notice the reduction. Unfortunately that is the way things seem to be at the moment - a good rate comes along, but doesn't stay there for long.
  • Sorry, maybe I muddied the waters in trying to make things clearer

No, not at all, I understand the various scenarios
    I have the Nationwide 5% Flexdirect, 5% Flex regular saver, 2% Regular saver, Loyalty saver & an instant saver (last two not so good now) Flexclusive ISA & Nat West paying out on my utilities. A matured ISA that needs a new home, & some others I have consolidated as the rate had dropped.
    I've had accounts with various banks with benefits previously.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure