Army Pension Advice

Phoned the above because I was informed that after serving 5 years 11 days from 1980 to 1985 I was entitled to one. Received a letter saying I had only served 4 years & 344 days. 11 days short. Sent of photocopies of service record clearly saying 5 yrs 11 days. They got back to me saying that when I first joined we where giving 2 weeks holiday until we started trainning that was the reason why.

Is this correct? When I asked for proof back in October they said they would send it to me but as yet no letter. I feel as if I was beeen giving the fob of story & it didn't seem correct. How do I find out if it is correct?

Wouldn't this have been shown on your service records?

Comments

• farquarpigmix

Reckonable service for pension is different from total service, for example on AFPS 75 I think reckonable service only counts from the 18th birthday for other ranks and 21st birthday for officers. I don't know about being given leave prior to training - I would think if you were being paid, it was pensionable (so long as you were old enough), if not paid, not pensionable.

SPVA should know, I'm guessing that's who you've asked already?
    Mortgage Free thanks to ill-health retirement
  • Hi Trying to be good,

Thank you for reply first of all. The people I contacted where up in Glasgow. When I questioned them about I was told someone would phone me. They did but I felt like I was being given the mushroom treatment. Kept in the dark & fed s**t.

They also said they would send a letter explainning why in detail, still waiting for letter.

Should I contact SPVA?

As you mentioned,
    I would think if you were being paid, it was pensionable

We turned up for training on the day they requested. Then we got 2 weeks paid holiday & sent away.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    You need to write to the Army pensions office and send it recorded delivery.
  • Cardew wrote: »
    You need to write to the Army pensions office and send it recorded delivery.

I take it you mean the one in Glasgow?

Cheers for reply.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,695
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Have you still got your attestation papers, that will have the date on it ?
    Were you over 18 when you signed up ?
    Did you spend any "time" at Colchester or similar establishment ?
  • Hi molerat,

I have a red booklet which gives you your rank, date of joining end of service. Is that what you mean?

I was 20 when I joined. Spent no time at Colchester etc.

Cheers for reply.
  • Update,

Contacted pensions ombudsman. They said they couldn't pursue the case until I had gone through Internal dispute procedure. Even sent a template to assist me.

I sent letter off to Service delivery complaints. I was advised to give them 4 weeks to reply. On the day of the 4th week I got a reply. They wanted proof of my signature from a driving license or passport. That was sent by email.

They aim to reply within 20 days in straightforward cases or if its complexed it takes longer.

Will update when I receive a reply back.
  • What is the address for the army pension ombudsman ?
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,695
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    What is the address for the army pension ombudsman ?
    http://www.pensions-ombudsman.org.uk/

The Office of the Pensions Ombudsman
    11 Belgrave Road
    London
    SW1V 1RB

Telephone: 020 7630 2200
    Fax: 020 7821 0065
  • Received letter from Army pensions. Saying that because I was sent home for 2 weeks before starting training that puts me 2 days under 5 yrs. I informed them they paid me 2 weeks holiday money. If I was on the books why give me 2 weeks holiday money?

My blood is boiling.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport