WWF charity cold calling at door....

I'm not sure if I have posted this in the correct section.

Last night I had a WWF charity rep on my doorstep asking me to donate, I declined politely and gave her the heads up that this estate is a non coldcalling area or what not and some people can be a bit funny, and she informs me that they are authourised by the police and the council to cold call anywhere they want.

Anyone know if this is the case? This is more curiosity than anything, I have never heard of this before :confused:
2010 resolutions
1- get my 5yo DD dry daytime, with enuresis help dry since 12th Jan so far!
2-Lose 3 stone inc giving birth :j baby born 11/02/10! lost 2 stone, 1 more to go!
3- more moneysaving! sealed pot number 851 :) SAHM getting organised, dont wanna go back to work after mat leave :o :j

Comments

• I've never heard of anyone being authorised to cold call but I find people knocking my door to sell or ask for money very irritating and I always send them away. They flash a little ID card at you and then expect you to part with your bank details and why do they always call as I'm just about to sit down for a meal?

Sorry this doesn't answer your question - hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along soon to help!
  • I've never heard of anyone being authorised to cold call but I find people knocking my door to sell or ask for money very irritating and I always send them away. They flash a little ID card at you and then expect you to part with your bank details and why do they always call as I'm just about to sit down for a meal?

Sorry this doesn't answer your question - hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along soon to help!

Funny enough, it was teatime :rotfl:
    2010 resolutions
    2-Lose 3 stone inc giving birth :j baby born 11/02/10! lost 2 stone, 1 more to go!
    3- more moneysaving! sealed pot number 851 :) SAHM getting organised, dont wanna go back to work after mat leave :o :j
  • Anihilator
    Anihilator Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    Tbh I doubt a non cold calling area has any legal standing so technically they are right that they are allowed by the police and council to do it.
  • Anihilator wrote: »
    Tbh I doubt a non cold calling area has any legal standing so technically they are right that they are allowed by the police and council to do it.

Very good point, normally the residents just chase the cold callers down the road with pitchforks :rotfl:
    2010 resolutions
  • Ivrytwr3
    Ivrytwr3 Posts: 6,282 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    WWF?

The wrestlers need MORE money?
  • Optimist
    Optimist Posts: 4,556 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    A non cold calling zone is basically just a area where residents in line with the council have decided that cold callers are not welcome. I seem to remember you get issued with sticky notes to put on the door saying "No cold callers" and signs are put on lamposts. It isn't legally enforceable to stop people calling and the schemes are not usually designed to stop charity collections.
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

Bertrand Russell. British author, mathematician, & philosopher (1872 - 1970)
  • Ivrytwr3 wrote: »
    WWF?

The wrestlers need MORE money?

Damn, you got there before me :mad:
  • Anihilator wrote: »
    But not 'authorised'. Just 'not forbidden'. 'Allowed' is too strong.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Optimist wrote: »
    A non cold calling zone is basically just a area where residents in line with the council have decided that cold callers are not welcome. I seem to remember you get issued with sticky notes to put on the door saying "No cold callers" and signs are put on lamposts. It isn't legally enforceable to stop people calling and the schemes are not usually designed to stop charity collections.

True...it's probably not enforceable legally...but if you saw a sign saying " No cold callers " would you even bother knocking and inviting the short answers you might well incur ?? :rotfl:

Anyway....the second someone started telling me they can call if they want is one second away from them getting a door shut in their face.

Reminds me...I had the Jehovah's Witnesses calling AGAIN!! on Saturday.....they weren't too impressed when I wished them a" Merry Christmas, and I hope you get lots of nice presents "
    if i had known then what i know now
  • We had the same, I gave them a tiger
    It's taken me years of experience to get this cynical
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills