The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Cleaning a conservatory roof

Last weekend was spent with me balanced on step-ladders scrapping the algae and god knows what off our conservatory roof. Does anybody know of an easy solution for doing this or a product that removes the green stuff from a conservatory roof.

Thanks
:D
"We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein

Comments

• Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    You can get brushes on rods that are good cleaning conservatories that are angled in a way for the slope on the roof, I think they are pricey though

http://www.hgpromotions.com/?page=products&cid=6
  • Discussed in a couple of threads, have a look at this one.
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • cupid_s
    cupid_s Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    my husband did ours the other weekend with a steam cleaner. Did still involve him standing on a ladder precariously but it looks good now and is easier than having to scrape it all off. He just hosed it down afterwards.
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    I just use a car brush with a built in extendable handle, it works fine, followed by a gentle hose down.
  • Poppycat wrote: »
    You can get brushes on rods that are good cleaning conservatories that are angled in a way for the slope on the roof, I think they are pricey though

http://www.hgpromotions.com/?page=products&cid=6
    Piccy shows a dwarf conservatory where you can see the roof from the ground! Most occasions you will be doing it blind unless you stand on something.
    I used a window cleaning attachment from poundland on a decorators extending pole. The window cleaning attachment had a mop on one side and a wiper blade on the other. The handle was hollow and tapered like a paint roller frame handle so it fitted straight onto a roller extension pole. I used Daz on the mop and it cleaned up the roof quite well but still took a couple of hours. My neighbour simply got the local window cleaner to do hers. It took around 1hr and cost £20.
    Cash ISA rate 6.5% fixed for 2 years. Mortgage rate 0.75% = 5.75% profit on £75K = £4500 per year:j
    Mortgages make money. Definitely don't wanabee mortgage free!
  • My neighbour simply got the local window cleaner to do hers. It took around 1hr and cost £20.
    Hi folks,

First let me declare my interest, as it were. I AM a Window Cleaner:grin:
    In this case, considering all the other posts do you think this might be the best option?

A bit like my car needed a new alternator.......................
    Took it to my local garage, half hour while I ate my lunch.........Done
    The.........THE BILL..................£179:eek::eek::mad::mad:...£135 for the Alternator

Now maybe I could have shopped around for an alternator.......but would probably paid similar....................
    Then me fitting it......................Well I'm only a Window Cleaner :confused:
    And the time of work would have cost me more.

So, don't you think £20 to your local window cleaner with the equipment to do a good job is fair and better than falling of the steps.

David
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Discussed in a couple of threads, have a look at this one.

And FWIW, as a result of that thread, I ended up using Jeyes Fluid on mine. Not perfect, but the best cleaner I've found so far - though a bit smelly!
    Stompa
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    David,

I enjoyed your post. Unfortunately not all window cleaners are as clever, helpful or inexpensive as you.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    First tip - do it when it has been raining then the gunge and bird s*** will come off easier.
    Have a garden hose to hand as well.
    I use a triple extending mop/squegee from Focus £16.99, works fine.
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    D.Salkeld wrote: »

So, don't you think £20 to your local window cleaner with the equipment to do a good job is fair and better than falling of the steps.

David

Unfortunately not all window cleaners are the same David.;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure