PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :T Lovely shiny new thread, thank you greent.

I need someoneto translate I came, I saw, I kondo'd into Latin for me, as I feel that it's my mission.

I have been out all morning visiting my lovely Nan, a mere slip of a girl at 92.5 years old. Also saw one of my aunties. We said hello to another auntie as we passed the churchyard, as is our tradition.

Another kitchen cupboard has been kondo'd successfully. A double-width wall unit was gutted onto the table top and wiped out. Mum came in to arbitrate and two boxes of Stuff are now ready for the chazzer and what is in there is neat and clean and accessible.

Folks are very pleased. So will the chazzers be early next year. I now must go to dine on finest sausages and a beer - veg will also feature, we're not barbarians here, you know.

Happy Kondo-ing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    As an admin of MK Facebook group we have had lots of people koi recently which is great. Thank you for starting a new thread

I'm an admin on the facebook group, too :D
    katsu wrote: »
    I think the posts at the top of the thread are a great idea.

My suggestions for this post are: <snipped>

fab - thank you - will add to post 4:T
    Rainy-Days wrote: »
    Can I just add in a fabulous charity called Nowzad Dogs with regard to the used bras.

The link is here

Fab - will also add :):T

All suggestions welcomed! :D

x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Please can I say thanks for the new thread. I have popped in to the older one often but never quite understood what it was that it was all about. I would wander to Pinterest to try to learn but never really gathered much info. I've learned more from page 1 of this thread than anything I have read elsewhere.

mummyroysof3 I think you've just given me permission to join the fb page. Thanks :)

Can I give a thought about what I think it's about but struggle to come to a conclusion? I bought a sieve from £1 shop. I liked it, pastel handle, a bit nostalgic looking. I now don't like it. It's rusting very quickly. It causes me anxiety with regard to food items touching it. I can't pass it on because of those anxieties being inflicted on others so I find I must discard. Not good. I now need to replace with a better quality sieve which will probably cost more money than the original.

I'm trying to find a positive in all this but I can't. :cool: How would you all think about this situation?
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    fuddle wrote: »
    Can I give a thought about what I think it's about but struggle to come to a conclusion? I bought a sieve from £1 shop. I liked it, pastel handle, a bit nostalgic looking. I now don't like it. It's rusting very quickly. It causes me anxiety with regard to food items touching it. I can't pass it on because of those anxieties being inflicted on others so I find I must discard. Not good. I now need to replace with a better quality sieve which will probably cost more money than the original.

I'm trying to find a positive in all this but I can't. :cool: How would you all think about this situation?

I believe that the part you take away from this is learning (?) - possibly that sometimes we have to pay more for an item. Feel free to discard it without any further concern on your part - it has played its part in your life. You cannot pass it on, it has to go. Sometimes that is the case and there is nothing we can do.
    x

Am sure others can add more/ say it better/ disagree with me! :D
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Eyeore
    Eyeore Posts: 259 Forumite
    Ooo new thread, thanks greent!

Happy New Year everyone, busy kondoing here, lots going to the chazzers &#55357;&#56397;
    2019, move forward with positivity! I am the opposite of Eyeore :rotfl:
  • pollys
    pollys Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Fuddle, if an item is no longer fit for purpose I throw it out. I use sieves quite often, I need one that is in good condition.
    If you really don't want to get rid can it be used for something else a plant perhaps?
    Polly
    MFW 1/5/08 £45,789 Cleared mortgage 1/02/13
    Weight loss challenge. At target weight.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,140 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Fen1 wrote: »
    Greenbee: re blocking up the door. For now, could you lock the door and put a piece of furniture in front of it to see whether you like it blocked? Just something from Freegle will do for now, which can be recycled at the end of the experiment. You may find you don't like it blocked!
    Also, try a halogen oven. Compact, easy to clean, cheaper than a cooker. I've roasted ducks, big chickens, sides of beef in mine. Fab device.

Thanks Fen :) I've put furniture in front of the door on both sides, and it's actually not annoying me. I'll see what it's like when other people are here... Lots more space in the kitchen, and a bit more exercise :cool:

I've come up with a plan for the kitchen, and am currently investigating options. I'm looking at putting in a refurbished AGA - and an electric oven and a (bottled) gas hob. I like cooking :) I'm just trying to work out whether oil or electric is the best option for an AGA. And don't try to persuade me not to get one, I LOVE them, and have missed having one, so have been saving up (plus it can go in ages before the rest of the kitchen as it doesn't need to be built in, and the concrete plinth has to be done before the floor anyway). I do have a spare chimney from where the boiler was removed, so that's not an issue.

I have practically no storage or worksurface in the kitchen as it is, but when it is eventually done will have plenty of both. It just seems to be taking a long time to get there...
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Very much appreciated. I'm getting it and think I need kondo-ing in my life :D

I will discard the sieve and make do with my colander. That is 12 years old and still in the same condition as when I bought it. I only see a problem with straining rice but I will research a better brand and invest come DH's pay day.

I do still suffer from the mentality of 'that'll do, that's a bargain' although I have made great in roads in the investment mentality.

For my start I think i'll look through my pj's. Any old t-shirts or leisure wear gets put into my nightwear collection. It's vast and doesn't particularly fill me with happiness for snuggly relaxed nights.
  • Thank you for the add to the FB group! Will continue to lurk and then show my face every once in a while!
    I feel 2016 will be a good year for Kondoing and I hope that it helps me with my anxiety etc. Hope everyone has a very Happy New Year!
  • Thank you! I love new January threads. :T So much potential.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure