Section 75 refunds - article discussion

Comments

• johnsgems wrote: »
    Hi. Back in 2006 we were offered an opportunity to to relieve ourselves of our timeshare properties, via a holiday club. The deal was that they would take our timeshare properties, and we would join their holiday club for which we paid a substantial fee. The remuneration for the timeshares, and a payback deal on our holiday club fee was to be put into a cashback scheme with a 5 year wait for the payout. In the interim time the holiday company, and the cashback company have both gone into liquidantion. The fee was paid on two credit cards to a total of approx. £9000. Have I a valid claim under section 75? I have recently been approached by a company offering to help me get this money back. Is this a possible solution as for the likes of us going down the section 75 reclaim path looks complicated

Simply put, if you can prove that you paid for services that you have not received, then you have a claim for the full amount of £9000.

Whatever you do I wouldn't go with a company to reclaim your money. The fact that they are approaching you means they are aware that you should have a case. They often charge extortionate fees for their services e.g. Gladstone Brookes charges 25% of payout for PPI claims.

Section 75 isn't as hard as you may think. There's plenty of good info around the web especially on this site for you to make a good base for your claim. Remember if the card company refuse or want to 'register as a creditor' or some rubbish like that you have the ombudsman to make them for you!

Good Luck :)
  • MJPS
    MJPS Posts: 2 Newbie
    Hi

I am new to using forums and not sure if I am posting a new question or adding to someone elses. If I am I'm sorry.

I paid for a franchise by credit card in Sept 2002, the business was closed down in 2007. Have a chance of recovering my payment?
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    MJPS wrote: »
    Hi

I am new to using forums and not sure if I am posting a new question or adding to someone elses. If I am I'm sorry.

I paid for a franchise by credit card in Sept 2002, the business was closed down in 2007. Have a chance of recovering my payment?

10 years ago! You don't have a chance.

What happened during the 5 years? Did you get the franchise?

Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• I booked 3 return tickets to India on Kingfisher Airlines in early March on my Amex. Sadly, the airline is having financial problems and flights are now cancelled. Amex is dealing with the case and I am confident that I'll get a refund.
    However, the flights on similar airlines have become much more expensive over six weeks than originally booked for. Would Amex be held for difference in price?
  • avfc1982
    avfc1982 Posts: 104 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hello all,

I purchased a box-set from ChoicesUk back in late February on my Cap One credit card, about 2 weeks before they went into administration.

The DVD never turned up and I don't think I'll be top of the list in terms of creditors when the administrators after their 2p in the £!

The DVD cost £33.99, is there any recourse through my Credit Card company as it's under £100 or are there any other options for getting my money back?

Cheers
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    avfc1982 wrote: »
    Hello all,

I purchased a box-set from ChoicesUk back in late February on my Cap One credit card, about 2 weeks before they went into administration.

The DVD never turned up and I don't think I'll be top of the list in terms of creditors when the administrators after their 2p in the £!

The DVD cost £33.99, is there any recourse through my Credit Card company as it's under £100 or are there any other options for getting my money back?

Cheers

If VISA debit try Chargeback, it works for credit and debit cards with no lower limit.

You may have to push your card issuer as some "have never heard of it"

Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• DonnaKebab
    DonnaKebab Posts: 42 Forumite
    Can anyone explain the theory behind why the credit card company is liable for the refund to the customer, in addition to the company that has gone bust?

I understand about section 75 but what I do not understand is the reasoning behind why the credit card company is also liable? If a company has gone bust and the item is faulty, and if the debit on the card has been already been paid off, then why should the credit card company be jointly liable? I can not figure out why the full liability is not with only the company that you bought from? (not that I'm complaining though, see as it's extra protection).
  • I bought a car and paid the deposit on the credit card. The vehicle hasn't run right since buying it. There were numerous problems within the first couple of days, we've had to spend out hundreds to try and sort it. The garage won't refund any of the money, and have said the car doesn't have a warranty. I've been told to claim under section 75. If the claim is succesful, Does anybody know if they take the car off me as well?
  • I have a similar problem. My car came with a couple of faults that the garage promised to fix and haven't!!! I am thinking of claiming part payment under section 75 so that I can get the problems fixed myself. I hope that this will work as I am having no joy from the garage and wouldn't have paid what I did for the car knowing it still had issues.

I have claimed under a section 75 when I bought a pair of GHDs that turned out to be fake. The CC company told me tho throw the fake GHDs in the bin.
  • Hi all,

New to the forums but would like to post a question and perhaps my information may help others too.

I bought my first car late last year from a private company and on the test drive noticed that the hand brake would not hold the car. The repair of this was agreed prior to receiving the car and was put on the receipt. To cut a long story short, the hand brake was not fixed and within one month it snapped (along with several other problems including ABS and TCS issues). Back and forth with the company who eventually changed names and denied responsibility. Luckily, I had paid half the amount of the car on my credit card. So, got in touch with them and am currently in the middle of claiming my money back, and so far it seems to be going smoothly. I have had to SORN my car, am still paying insurance, and I've not driven it in 4months (travelling to work is becoming a major problem!). It's a long process.

However, my question is this: I am now worried about the reliability of the car as I had driven it for perhaps 4 weeks and several issues came up. I would like a refund for the whole amount and not just the repair. Even if the credit company had to take the car, I don't mind. Can I demand this or do I have no choice in the matter?

Anyone have any thoughts, advice or experience they could share please? Thanks very much.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure