name change help

i know this isnt technically child support related, but my ex has had a great idea that she wants all her kids to have the same surname...hers, i have said no to this and she decided to see her solicitor, he said she has hadly no chance of success if she went the court route, so her solicitor has said what about a double barrell name now im against this too, i dont want my childs name changed, (she reckons my kid will be bullied when at school because her other kids have different names)

im just wondering whether she has a leg to stand on legally with changing the name to a double barrell name or any name at all.

its my understanding that she cant change the name at all without my agreement? but im concerned about what the court will say if it did go that far?

thanks for your help

Comments

• WYSPECIAL
    WYSPECIAL Posts: 645 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    So she is changing the names of the other kids as well so it is double-barelled with yours ? Thought not! So they'll still have different names.

Depends on ages and wishes of children but I would say she has no chance. Worth writing to the school to confirm that they are not to be known by any other surname than your own.
  • shoe*diva79
    shoe*diva79 Posts: 1,356 Forumite
    Depends if your named on childs birth certificate. My daughters father isnt named on hers so i didnt need his permission when i changed her surname.
  • jackbauer1_2
    jackbauer1_2 Posts: 54 Forumite
    edited 4 May 2012 at 8:48PM
    WYSPECIAL wrote: »
    So she is changing the names of the other kids as well so it is double-barelled with yours ? Thought not! So they'll still have different names.

Depends on ages and wishes of children but I would say she has no chance. Worth writing to the school to confirm that they are not to be known by any other surname than your own.

she wants to change all the surnames to hers, but then shes on about having her family name in the double barrel and yes i agree with you, i think she is insane!

edit - all the children are not very old and not in full time education yet
  • jackbauer1_2
    Depends if your named on childs birth certificate. My daughters father isnt named on hers so i didnt need his permission when i changed her surname.
    thanks

i am named on the birth certificate and have regular contact with my child and pay maintenence if that means anything in the eyes of the law
  • missybay
    missybay Posts: 28 Forumite
    Her reason is a bit nonsense anyway, most kids are in complex families these days. It's not so unusual for kids to have different names from siblings or parents anymore.
    I recently had to do something official by phone and they checked the surname with each child instead of just assuming they were all the same as me.
    It's fairly normal.
    Beyond Stressed!
  • missybay
    Also what happens if she marries? or has more kids with different names?
    Is she going to go through all this again.
    Beyond Stressed!
  • jackbauer1_2
    missybay wrote: »
    Also what happens if she marries? or has more kids with different names?
    Is she going to go through all this again.

ive been through that about 12 months ago she wanted my child to have her partners surname as they were engaged to be married.

now ironically hes kicking off about her wanting to change his childs name as theyre seperated :mad:

you really couldnt make it up
  • missybay
    I guess this is an issue you'll be seeing again at some point then.
    Beyond Stressed!
  • jackbauer1_2
    missybay wrote: »
    I guess this is an issue you'll be seeing again at some point then.

probably, :mad::( its just so frustrating:(

thanks for your help:)
  • bugsy2009
    bugsy2009 Posts: 97 Forumite
    I changed all my kids name to my surname but 2 of them were born before 2003 and my ex isn't on the youngest birth certificate as we'd already split. I wasn't married to my ex either if that makes a difference.
    I got name of deed changes but the solicitor told me I could basically call them what name I wanted without doing that.
    Of course different circumstances and a few years ago now, my ex has nothing to do with my kids and I didn't want people associatinng my kids with him as his name tended to be in the papers a lot!
    Quite a few of my kids friends have double barrelled names also have a few married friends that have as well.
    I also changed my eldest to my name 21 years ago as I was a teenager and thought it was for the best but in hindsight wished I hadn't as his father never forgave me and took it out on my son until he washed his hands of him when he was 13.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure