Top Child Trust Funds Article Discussion Area

Comments

• deefadog
    deefadog Posts: 2,190
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi, that's my attitude too :)

So where can i start looking a stakeholder/ shares account and what do i look for in terms of risk? - the more the merrier for me :)
  • wriggly
    wriggly Posts: 362 Forumite
    deefadog wrote: »
    Hi, that's my attitude too :)

So where can i start looking a stakeholder/ shares account and what do i look for in terms of risk? - the more the merrier for me :)

All stakeholder and shares CTF have risk, and hence are expected to provide better returns than a cash CTF. Even a nice staid stakeholder tracking the FTSE All-Share has a much higher risk and expected return than cash.

The additional return on investments riskier than that is unlikely to get you into lottery-winner territory.

However, for informational purposes only, from the F&C stable, I would say that US or Global Smaller Companies or Pacific Assets Trust would be reasonable investments that almost certainly provide additional risk and may possibly plausibly potentially provide a better return.

F&C Private Equity Trust or Graphite Enterprise Trust might give you the wildest roller coaster ride. Don't blame me if you lose it all though!
  • I need to do something with my babys voucher.

I think I'm gonna be reckless do you still recommend F&C Private Equity Trust as the best higer risk.
    Thanks
    Money is the root of all evil! :eek:Give me yours and save yourself!!
  • Lara
    Lara Posts: 2,880
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'd like to set up an account of some sorts for first grandchild whereby I can put money in there for Christmas/birthdays etc. As she's been born abroad they haven't got the CTF money. I've looked at Children's Bonds in PO and also Smart Account at Nationwide but I'd be happy to take a chance and invest money and leave it until she is older at the same time be able to invest more for her as and when I want to. Any suggestions would be gratefully received. Thanks :).
  • Hi

I went to see a Building Society this weekend to try to open a Stakeholder CTF. I was told the only way to do this was to see their Independent Financial Advisor, pay him a fee to give me a full review of my own finances, and have the Society's Stakeholder CTF recommended to me.

Can this be right? Firstly surely an IFA, particularly a fee-based one, should be giving impartial advice not biased to a particular Society's product? Secondly, surely the spirit of Stakeholders is that they are low cost?

Apparently they would even be reluctant to open the CTF for me if I chose to withhold some answers to the IFA's question about myself! My understanding is that a CTF is for my child, not me!

:confused:

Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks
  • cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,028
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Yes, leave the BS and find a better one.

Everything they stated is hog wash. If you want to stay with them then just go to their web site and open the CTF online.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • Many thanks for that. I will report the specific details to HMRC and see what they think.
  • emidee
    emidee Posts: 71
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi all,

I have 2 children (2 & 4) who both have Cash CTFs, with Britannia at the moment.

I'm looking to transfer both CTFs to the Yorkshire BS as it has a better rate.

Does anyone know whether interest on CTFs is payable daily, weekly, monthly, yearly, etc? I don't want to lose a year's interest by transferring their accounts at the wrong time! :eek:

Thanks,
    Emily xx.
  • lozzaw
    lozzaw Posts: 8 Forumite
    Hi

I am thinking of investing my child's CTF in the Children's Mutual Society ethical stakeholder account.

My worry is I have seen a lot of reviews on other sites with people saying annual returns seem to be low or negative. Am I right to ignore this? Is this generally a good time to invest in such an account?

Thanks for any help.
  • cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,028
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    emidee wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have 2 children (2 & 4) who both have Cash CTFs, with Britannia at the moment.

I'm looking to transfer both CTFs to the Yorkshire BS as it has a better rate.

Does anyone know whether interest on CTFs is payable daily, weekly, monthly, yearly, etc? I don't want to lose a year's interest by transferring their accounts at the wrong time! :eek:

Thanks,
    Emily xx.
    It doesn't matter when interest is payable, when transferring they will add interest pro-rata for the year, i.e. if you transfer it half way through their year then you will get half the interest. All this assumes there are no special lock in clauses / notice periods etc.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport