PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Between Exchange and Complete

Hello,

Our sellers have agreed to let us have the keys to our new property once we have exchanged to undergo some decorating etc.

The question is, how much would you say we can and can't do? Obviously we will be painting, would it be okay to carpet throughout etc? New tiling?

The idea is to get the house as clean and fresh as poss before we move in.

I am aware that if all went Pete Tong I would lose what I put in.

Thanks

Comments

• Surrey_EA
    Surrey_EA Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Normally this would be agreed between solicitors, and a document produced itemising what works had been agreed to.

Is this the case here, or are you making arrangements direct with the current property owners?
  • paddy's_mum
    paddy's_mum Posts: 3,977 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I wouldn't let you in at all!

Too much can go wrong from accidentally starting a house fire to tripping over their loose rug and breaking your neck.

You may find that their/your solicitor or the mortgage company won't allow it in any case unless you are insured up to the hilt to protect the loan company.

You might be wiser to spend the same amount of money as the temporary insurance cover on a Travelodge so that you get the clean, fresh place without the risks.

Good luck with your move.
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Is the house empty or will the vendors be in residence until completion?
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    As others have suggested, it depends

* who you negotiate this with (seller direct? via EA? via solicitors?)
    * what you negotiate - if in doubt either ask or just proceed without asking!
    * how much £ you are prepared to risk

The risk on your side is that Compleion does not happen (unlikely but possible) and the £ you've invested in renovation is lost

The risk on their side is accidents, insurance, or even that you establish occupation rghts, fail to Complete but stay in residence......
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,436 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    LNEWTON93 wrote: »
    Our sellers have agreed to let us have the keys to our new property once we have exchanged to undergo some decorating etc.

(I'm guessing you mean that you want to undertake some decorating, rather than undergo some decorating! Otherwise, maybe post some pictures afterwards?)

It's the sellers who are taking the bigger risk - so ask them what they're happy to let you do.

But... if they've agreed this without consulting their solicitor, they might change their mind one they talk to their solicitor.

FWIW, I got some plumbing work done on a house between exchange and completion. And some friends started a major refurb - but in that case, the sellers took a considered decision to override the advice of their solicitors.
  • Many thanks for all of the responses.

I spoke to my solicitor about this and they stated this wasn't a conveyancing issue???

This has been agreed, in writing with the EA.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the property is vacant.

Basically the old tenants had about 4000 cats so the place just smells like a big litter tray.

The idea is just to decorate and carpet to be honest - but I would like to do as much as possible as we will be bringing a young family in (2 and 3 months).

Thanks
  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,621 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    LNEWTON93 wrote: »
    Many thanks for all of the responses.

I spoke to my solicitor about this and they stated this wasn't a conveyancing issue???
    - well yes, it's not part of the checks whether the property is okay. You're just asking for advice, which they may which to charge for in addition to the conveyancing fee.

This has been agreed, in writing with the EA.
    - The EA is irrelevant, has no training in whether this is okay, and likely just wants everyone to agree on something (anything) to push the sale along.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the property is vacant.

Basically the old tenants had about 4000 cats so the place just smells like a big litter tray.

The idea is just to decorate and carpet to be honest - but I would like to do as much as possible as we will be bringing a young family in (2 and 3 months).

Thanks

The risk is mostly with the vendor so if they agree then that's their choice. You may want to include that if they fail to complete, they would reimburse your lost renovation costs.
  • I work on the basis that my costs will be no more than £3/4K.

If they are happy to let me in, I don't see a massive issue?

Worst case I lose whatever I have put in
  • m0bov
    m0bov Posts: 2,523 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Its not a problem, as long as you detail work. The sellers sol will produce a key release agreement. I did this when I purchase last spring. I had to get the garage door fixed and new consumer units fitted.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    eddddy wrote: »
    (I'm guessing you mean that you want to undertake some decorating, rather than undergo some decorating! Otherwise, maybe post some pictures afterwards?)

It's the sellers who are taking the bigger risk - so ask them what they're happy to let you do.

But... if they've agreed this without consulting their solicitor, they might change their mind one they talk to their solicitor.
    I'm guessing you mean that they might change their minds once they talk to their solicitor!

:rotfl:

(but I agree about the risk)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family