Taking it slowly, but doing it well.

Comments

• today:
    nsd woop woop
    Picnic with friends
    Cleaner has been
    Cake is STILL being decorated
    Bathroom cabinets have been decluttered
    Chilling on the sofa with the cat asleep beside me/on me.

Updates....

August Goals:
    1) reduce mortgage capital by £340 - require overpayment of £128
    8/8: £63.73/£128
    9/8: £64.83 (TT)
    11/8: £68.90 (TT & under budget on landline bill)
    20/8 £71.30 (got some post holiday TT to do, but need to charge the iPad to do that. )
    22/8: £73.84 (TT - I'm a bit behind target, but looking at what I've got left in my YNAB pots I should be ok at month end.
    23/8: £97.92 (TT and a massive underspend on the bacon subscription this month due to being away)
    24/8: £98.71
    25/8: 119.81 (underspend from August's milk delivery pot and TT from child benefit)
    26/8: £120.85 (TT - nearly there)
    27/8: £124.35
    28/8: £124.56 (forgot a receipt yesterday so TT)

2)keep an accurate cash spending diary
    9/8 ✅
    11/8: no cash spent today
    20/8: nope, not done this.. restart tomorrow. (Haven't taken any cash out of the bank all week though, so haven't actually spent a lot. )
    22/8: no cash spent
    23/8: no cash spent
    24/8: no cash spent
    25/8: no cash spent
    26/8: ✅ £3 in bus fares
    27/8:✅
    28/8: nsd

3) cash out £30 of survey site rewards✅
    8/8: £24.80/£30 (£15 voucher & £9.80 cash)
    9/8: £55.16/£30 (£25 vouchers & £30.16
    11/8: no change today, but pa reward has cleared to circle, just waiting for it to appear in my bank now
    20/8 no change as I've not done any surveys while I've been away. But the circle payment is in my bank and I've just opened the envelope containing the boots voucher from VO.
    22/8 no change. Pa has gone very quiet. I've had nothing at all today.
    23/8: a couple of 25p vo surveys, nothing on pa again - what's going on?
    24/8: a survey on PA woop woop.
    PA at £6.90 Vo at £5 not expecting any more August payouts but this is a good start towards September's £20 cash out target
    25/8: lots of surveys today inc a £3 one on pa, I'm now half way to the next payout on both sites so I think a £30 September target should be set.
    26/8: no survey's today but £2 earned on roaml3r. I also did some shopm1um shopping today - free (when the money comes through) chocolate, which I've eaten because I was tired and hungry. 3 bottles of non-alcoholic grape/elderflower presse stuff which can go into the cellar for Christmas.
    27/8: no change
    28/8: x

4)reach the middle of July on temperature blanket
    8/8: up to 29/05/17
    11/8: completed May
    20/8: up to 3rd June oops, did more reading than knitting while I was away.
    22/8: ha ha
    23/8: about to do some knitting when I've finished here
    24/8: none today
    25/8: why did I set this unachievable target?
    26/8:never going to happen!
    27/8: ❌
    28/8: no surveys when I've looked today

5)get a job or sign up to 1 agency.
    9/8: X
    11/8: X
    20/8 : x (but I have been on holiday)
    22/8: x
    23/8: x
    24/8:x
    25:8: needs to be a September target I think
    26/8: x
    27/8: x
    28/8: x

Monday
    Finish showstopper cake: so blinking close, but got to keep waiting for the glue to dry
    Stuff back in bathroom cupboards: ✅
    Washing etc.✅

Tuesday
    Prep for bake along
    Top up shop if needed
    Do something with Pickle so he sleeps early.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Well done on your decluttering. Bathroom cabinet for me tomorrow:eek:

PP x
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • Good luck with the bathroom cabinets. I found about 3 beard trimmers and associated stuff (belonging to hubby obviously) so they've been put to one side for him to sort a maximum of two working ones (one for home, one for his wash bag as he travels for work all the time) although I'd rather he just keep 1.
    Going to be ruthless with the coathangers now. We have far too many for the clothes we have and, when I do the wardrobes there will be even more to go out.

Have fun with the cabinets.
  • Today is ended up being quite a speedy day. I did the top shop at the discount store at the end of the road but forgot yoghurt for the little pickle. He will just have to have something else until I did a proper shop after 1 September. Cash wise I spent 85p on chocolate in order to finish my bake off showstopper which thankfully is now done. It's just about ready for the party this evening I'm hoping that bake off is just as good even though it's on a different channel but the addition of the advert made me may be able to serve cake without missing any of the program.

After his lunch and a nap I took pickle to the local trampoline place most days that it would normally be in term time but the idea was to tire him out. Only time will tell on that one but he was rubbing his eyes while he had his tea.

Tomorrow has the potential to be an Nsd, mooch around the house in the morning because nap at lunchtime and then a party in the park in the afternoon. I'm going to contribute some cake to the party food which I've already made my favourite brownie recipe has been requested by some of my friends so that was an easy Bake during naptime today.

Along with many other people I can't wait until the end of the month so that I can have a look at the progress I've made of both the mortgage and on improving our financial situation during August . August is always strange but with holidays so it's hard to see what improvements are made to reducing our spending when we've been away so much.
    Updates....

August Goals:
    29/8: £127.57 -soooo close!

29/8: ✅

29/9:£62.43 (£25 vouchers & £37.43 - increase today from shopm1um payout)

29/8: ❌

29/8: ❌

Tuesday
    Prep for bake along✅
    Top up shop if needed✅
    Do something with Pickle so he sleeps early.
    and I decluttered the coat hooks at last :T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:rotfl:

Wednesday
    Short picnic for park party
    Washing stuff
    Sort car seat for its trip to be cleaned
    Sort stuff for town trip on Thursday
  • A trip to the blue and yellow pleasure palace is never a cheap trip, but I bought less than I intended and only picked up one extra £3, useful) item.
    I really went for toy storage for Pickle, which I got and was within budget for (thanks to two child benefit payments in August) but I also booked his swimming lessons today so was £23 overspent in the Pickle YNAB pot. I covered this from the car fuel pot as I've not spent any money on diesel this month.
    I'm going to leave the rest of the money in that pot this month in case we do a long trip in September. (Although I'm really dying to put it in the mop pot)

We had tea there, grand total of £6.60 for both of us.

Tomorrow will be spendy!
    Going into the city.
    3 suites to pick up from the dry cleaners £13.95 each, but one belongs to a friend so should get that back.
    Then three pairs of jeans (2 hubby, 1 mine) to go in to be repaired- I'm hoping it will be cheaper than buying new ones.

The car seat is also being collected tomorrow for cleaning but that's payment on return so will come from September's budget.

Going to offset this by paying all the shrapnel into the bank (it's going on the Christmas pot)

Today's decluttering was my evening gowns/cocktail dresses. I've put 5 up for sale and there is interest on 2 at the moment. I've not put them up for sale for much as they owe me nothing, but it should be a little bit towards some new clothes for me.

I also may have sold 1 if not both of the jumperoos (normal & space saver) if they both go for the price I've asked for they will have cost me £5 for the time we've used them and Pickle can have some new toys at Christmas (although I think I'll refund the fuel money first. )

Rubbish day on the surveys,hopefully I'm set up well enough to do some cashing out in September, but we'll see.
    Updates....

August Goals:
    30/8: :beer: £128.16 done and dusted. Will see what extra I can throw at it tomorrow though. ✅

30/8: ✅ no cash spent today

30/8: no change

30/8: ❌

30/8: ❌

Wednesday
    Short picnic for park party ✅
    Washing stuff✅
    Sort car seat for its trip to be cleaned✅
    Sort stuff for town trip on Thursday✅

Thursday
    Town jobs
    Toy sort into new storage
    End of month money shuffle
  • Mummy_bear
    Mummy_bear Posts: 604 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Just caught up o your diary. Fantastic getting the over payment target for your mortgage reached.

I see you mentioned receipt hog. I have that too. I've taken to collecting spare receipts lying around Tesco and the like in order to get more points, I'm only on 1400 points. The things we do :rotfl:
    My LBM May 2017, DH LBM July 2017- Total Debt (not Including Mortgage) £46444.23 :eek:
    £40773.61 /£46444.23 87.8% paid
  • 1400, You are doing well, I'm on 466. the maximum number of coins I've had from a spin in 2, normally I don't get anything.
    It's worth persevering with though as,eventually it will be free money and isn't actually much effort.

I am pleased I've met the mop pot target, this is the first month of our new budget so I wasn't sure what would happen. It's been a funny month with two weddings and a holiday, but there is something every month so I mustn't make excuses.

Thanks for reading my rambling. I'm sure you are now sleeping soundly

Wish.
  • MSE AUGUST GOALS
    Reduce mortgage capital by £340 ✅
    Keep an accurate cash spending diary ❗️ (holiday made it unreliable, so August was really a practice month)
    Cash out £30 in survey site rewards etc ✅
    Reach middle of July on temperature blanket ❌
    Get a job or sign up to agency ❌

Earnings from surveys, mystery shopping, cash back & sales
    Vouchers: £25
    Cash: £37.43
    Total: £62.43

The mortgage situation
    Opening balance: £36,800
    Interest added: £76.36
    Standard payment: £297.89
    Mop pot: £142.20 (includes some month end ynab pot underspends)
    Closing Balance: £36,336.27
    Difference£433.73

Savings pots
    Emergency Fund: £1050 +£50
    Annual Clean Fund: £60 +£60
    Wool Fund: £37.00 +£37.00

Household Expenses
    Groceries: £245.27/£250
    Household Goods: £87.38/£100
    Spending Money: £88.98/£100
    Restaurants: £68.04/£100
    Stuff I'll forget: £86.34/£100 (all hubby expenses really, but as he funds me completely at the moment I can't complain)

Any thoughts/comments on how improvements can be made are welcomed.

Wish
  • MSE SEPTEMBER GOALS

1) reduce mortgage capital by £445.00
    2) cash out £30 on surveys/mystery shopping/cashback etc
    3) 30 lots of decluttering/organising

Just three MSE goals this month and they are all actually financial related (number 3 means I should have things to sell on)

A brief (you hope) explanation for each one.

1) I wanted to get the mortgage to 35,000 by the end of the year, then make a house with 100 x £350 blocks making 100 mortgage payments to be mortgage free. During August The mop pot totalled £433 so I did a bit of number crunching and £445 means we hit the £35k mark at the end of November starting our 100 payments to go 1 month early. It's a bit of a stretch target, but I like a challenge. The interest will also be a little less each month so that makes the overpayment target a few pence easier to achieve.

2) self explanatory I feel.

3) I've already started the decluttering process and the aim is to be through the house by Christmas. I've been really good this week (hubby is away at the moment) so the decluttering has been easy. I need a target to help me when he's home.

Wish.
  • Good luck with your September goals Wish, you have done amazing in your first month, to say you've been out of practice!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback