IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Urgent: Got CCJ on my credit records

Comments

• Sassii
    Sassii Posts: 251 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 10 July 2017 at 10:11PM
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    I would put a line or two, suggesting the basis upon which you would defend this, so the Judge can see that:

(2) That you have good prospects of successfully defending the claim at a hearing.

below is my defense for point 2 above.

2. Order dismissing the Claim or to be heard at a re-hearing:

So in light of the little information I have please find below.

2.1 It is admitted that the Defendant was the authorised registered keeper of the vehicle in question at the time of the alleged incidents.

2.2 As the car mentioned in the particulars of claim was a company hire car which all company employees & others are insured to drive that car & the parking events / alleged breaches were more than 2 years ago, so nobody can remember who was driving. It’s strictly requested that PCM to provide any evidence of who the driver was.

2.3 All the roads in xxxx is public adopted and not privately owned / managed as per Management Plan drawing xxxx (Attached), so the claimant doesn’t has the right to force any private parking scheme.

2.4 There is no contract in force between the claimant & defendant as any defendant declined any attempting to be in a contract made by the claimant & Cancelation Of Contact Notice (COCN) dated xxxx sent to the claimant before issuing the charges in question. COCN letter, proof of post attached

2.5 The Claimant has not complied with the pre-court protocol.
    - No Letter of Claim was sent to the Defendant showing the PCN numbers mentioned in Letter Before Claim and no initial information was sent to the Defendant although it was requested. I'd refer the court to Para 4 on non-compliance and sanction, and I'd also point out that there can be no reasonable excuse for the Claimant's failure to follow the Pre-action Conduct process, especially bearing in mind that the Claim was issued by their own Solicitors so they clearly had legal advice before issuing proceedings.

2.6 The claim form itself is vague and lacks pertinent information as to the grounds for the claimant’s case. The particulars of claim fail to meet CPR16.4 and PD16 7.3-7.5 and merely provide a date, due date, and an "amount" consisting of a completely unsubstantiated and inflated three-figure sum, vaguely and incoherently adduced by the claimant's solicitors.

2.7 I have no idea at this stage whether I am being pursued under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 for this debt or whether this is for civil trespass. A parking charge can be for trespass, breach of contract or a contractual charge. All these are treated differently in law and require a different defence. The wording of any contract will naturally be a key element in this matter, and a copy of the alleged contract has never been provided to the Defendant.

2.8 The Claimant’s solicitors are known to be a serial issuer of generic claims similar to this one, with no due diligence, no scrutiny of details nor even checking for a true cause of action.
    HMCS have identified over 1000 similar poorly produced claims and the solicitor's conduct in many of these cases is believed to be currently the subject of an active investigation by the SRA.
    I believe the term for such conduct is ‘robo-claims’ which is against the public interest, demonstrates a disregard for the dignity of the court and is unfair on unrepresented consumers.
    I have reason to believe that this is a claim that will proceed without any facts or evidence supplied until the last possible minute, to my significant detriment as an unrepresented Defendant.

2.9 Claimant & his representative should supply all the documents related to that case along with the contract with the lawful occupier of the land being produced by the claimant, or a chain of contracts showing authorisation stemming from the lawful occupier of the land, I have the reasonable belief that they do not have the authority to issue charges on this land in their own name and that they have no locus stand to bring this case.

2.10 The Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 does not permit the Claimant to recover a sum greater than the parking charge on the day before a Notice to Keeper was issued. The Claimant cannot recover additional charges. The Defendant also has the reasonable belief that the Claimant has not incurred the stated additional costs and it is put to strict proof that they have actually been incurred. Also any interest added due to claimant failure to provide the right address of the defendant need to be cancelled.

2.11 The government have put in place a mechanism whereby liability can be transferred from driver to keeper, under the Protection Of Freedoms Act 2012, sch 4. The claimant has made the conscious decision not to avail themselves of this legislation and use a notice to keeper which fails to comply with 8.1, 8.2a, 8.2c, 8.2f, 8.8b, 9.2.a, 9.8b of the Act.

2.12 On the other hand it is believed that the Claimant may seek to rely on a rather
    unique interpretation of the judgement in Elliott -v- Loake which is different from this case.

2.13 This case can be distinguished from ParkingEye v Beavis [2015] UKSC 67 (the Beavis case) which was dependent upon an undenied contract, formed by unusually prominent signage forming a clear offer and which turned on unique facts regarding the location and the interests of the landowner. Strict compliance with the BPA Code of Practice (CoP) was paramount and Mr Beavis was the driver who saw the signs and entered into a contract to pay £85 after exceeding a licence to park free. None of this applies in this material case.

2.14 The signs on site at the time of the alleged event were insufficient in terms of their numbers, distribution, wording, hight and lighting to reasonably convey a contractual obligation and did not in any event at the time comply with the requirements of the Code of Practice of the Independent Parking Committee’s Accredited Operators Scheme a signatory to which the Claimant was at the relevant time.

2.15 It is submitted that the conduct of the Claimant is wholly unreasonable and vexatious. As such, I am keeping a note of my wasted time/costs in dealing with this matter.

2.16 The defendant denies the claim in its entirety voiding any liability to the claimant for all amounts claimed due to the aforementioned reasons and I respectfully ask that the court dismiss the claim
  • Sassii
    The_Deep wrote: »
    It looks as though you have them by the short and curlies, how do you plan on exacting your revenge?

I'm going to claim back as much I can from PCM using every thing. Thanks
  • Sassii
    Redx wrote: »
    put SET ASIDE £255 into the forum search box and loads of threads pop up with explanations

Could any one please let me know the cases no. for Saggi1975 & edinh05 to refer in my set aside case.

Regards
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,564 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    We don't know them. You could click on their usernames and see if they allow a private message, and ask them.

Change 'right to force' to 'right to enforce' and don't use shortened words, so change doesn't to 'does not' (it's more formal), and add the words shown:
    2.3 All the roads in xxxx is public adopted and not privately owned / managed as per Management Plan drawing xxxx (Attached), so the claimant doesn’t has the right to force any private parking scheme. No party can lawfully operate on public highway as if it were private land (this is specifically disallowed by the Department for Transport) and the POFA does not apply on 'non-relevant land' under Statutory Control, so there can be no 'keeper liability and no parking charges would be recoverable in law.

Change the two x I'd to 'I would', in 2.5 - no slang/shortened language for court!

'Cancellation' has a double L and I think you mean 'contract' not 'contact' below, but what even is the COCN that you mention?
    2.4 There is no contract in force between the claimant & defendant as any defendant declined any attempting to be in a contract made by the claimant & Cancelation Of Contact Notice (COCN) dated xxxx sent to the claimant before issuing the charges in question. COCN letter, proof of post attached
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Sassii
    Hi again all.
    I got a hearing on Friday after the next. I got nothing from PCM / Gladstones, didn't hear any thing from them & the court just gave me the hearing day and will be for 15 mins only but didn't ask to submit any Witness Statement or documents.

Is that normal?. Do I need to do/ submit any thing to the court?.

Regards
  • Are you sure they didnt want any submitted?

Your hearing letter will usually ask for documents to be exchanged. It is HIGHLY unusual for there to be niothing there.

Post a copy of your letter here. You will need to use "dead" links, i.e. change "http" to "hxxp".
  • Sassii
    Are you sure they didnt want any submitted?

Your hearing letter will usually ask for documents to be exchanged. It is HIGHLY unusual for there to be niothing there.

Post a copy of your letter here. You will need to use "dead" links, i.e. change "http" to "hxxp".

It's set a side case & that made me confused if it's the same as small claim case.
  • In which case I would suggest you bring along:
    1) reasons why you did not receive the claim. If you had moved, and V5 / council tax / etc were all up to date at your new address, then you were easy enough for them to find and they have no excuse in not finding yuo. AS such the set aside should be granted automatically - there was NO SERVICE of the original claim. You need to make this clear - as I haven't seen a huge amount of detail here on why you missed the claim

2) You shoudl then have as an alternative, somethign showing you havea good prospect of success. That should be a ONE PAGE A4 defence. There are TONS of arugments out here, starting with no keeper liability IF the driver was never identified.

Get it written and post here for critique.

Regardless of whether its automatically granted, you should be asking the court to order the claimant to repay your set aside.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,564 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 13 September 2017 at 5:46PM
    Take proof that you had moved (if that's the reason you never received the claim), but that you were 'there to be found' with a basic search - i.e. prove things like: you are on the public electoral roll - if you are. As nosferatu1001 said.

And take evidence that more than one person drove that car (if you can work out which car it is about). That helps to show that the driver has never been established or identified. PCM would have to prove they had complied with the POFA if they are to recover money from you as registered keeper, and there is no proof that they did, and you've had no chance to defend it.

And you can say that you believe that Gladstones claim forms are worded with no detail, as a robo-claim, with no evidence whatsoever, and cases from PCM can be distinguished from the ParkingEye v Beavis case, because they rarely operate in retail parks, never have clear signs in large lettering, nor the 'legitimate interest' and commercial justification that ParkingEye had in the retail park in question, in that unique and complex case. Bearing in mind that the Supreme Court stated that the 'penalty' rule WAS engaged in Beavis, would be engaged in every case and could only disengaged by the facts that each claim/defence turns upon, there is a very high prospect that you can successfully defend this completely different claim.

That's what you need to be ready to say, if the Judge wants a precis of how you can defend this claim.

And take the press release where Sir Oliver Heald and Theresa May vowed to end this terrible situation of people getting CCJs without knowing about them, and the Government singled out parking firms.

The Government press release is linked in the Parking Prankster's blog here:

http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/2016/12/government-announce-ccj-review-due-to.html

Take a list of your costs, a schedule like the example linked in post #2 of the NEWBIES thread. Include the £255 of course as well as the usual other costs as shiown in the example.

Also - once you have got past this stage - complain by writing to your MP like this person:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5702742

Now is the time for MPs to get on board and support the new Bill to rein in PPCs' worst excesses.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Coupon_mad - its worse than that. the roads are publicly owned, so there is NO authority. In fact ticketing is almost certainly fraudulent as they will know they have no authority to ticket there!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure