Travel Insurance - am i covered in case of scam?

Options

Comments

• Ivrytwr3
    Ivrytwr3 Posts: 6,282 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    This is the link they sent me regarding the policy:

http://allpwps.insurefor.com/branding/allpwps/docs/LGLiteDirectMSEKF00744.pdf

The query is for the possibility the villa is not available, also we are travelling in a few weeks, the owner is selling up next year.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Ivrytwr3 wrote: »
    This is the link they sent me regarding the policy:

http://allpwps.insurefor.com/branding/allpwps/docs/LGLiteDirectMSEKF00744.pdf

The query is for the possibility the villa is not available, also we are travelling in a few weeks, the owner is selling up next year.

That's just a summary, the policy I linked to goes on & on about "insolvency of the end supplier" & says "You must obtain written confirmation from the liquidator that the third party
    supplier has become insolvent".

Read the small print. On the other hand don't panic, what makes you think they'll let you down?
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • Ivrytwr3
    Options
    EssexExile wrote: »

Read the small print. On the other hand don't panic, what makes you think they'll let you down?

Nothing, just would like to know if this policy would cover such an eventuality.
  • loskie
    loskie Posts: 1,761 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sounds like you are getting in a state over nothing. In your own words you say seller is selling NEXT YEAR. Relax and enjoy your holiday otherwise you may as well stay at home.
  • Ivrytwr3
    Options
    i get that - like i said, i have no reason to doubt anything untoward will happen. My query is "what if?".

I am just interested in does travel insurance cover this type of eventuality? What would one should this type of situation arise?

It's all well and good saying "It won't happen, don't worry about it", however, i am sure many others have said the same and failing to plan or prepare has left them in a difficult situation when the worst did actually occur.
  • leylandsunaddict
    leylandsunaddict Posts: 1,923 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am just interested in does travel insurance cover this type of eventuality? What would one should this type of situation arise?

Supplier failure covers insolvency. That is made quite clear in the Leisure Guard policy wording. An owner selling a property making it unavailable isn't the sort of thing covered by a standard insurance policy. When an owner decides to sell a property if they have bookings they can't honour they refund them. That is all they have to do.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    i get that - like i said, i have no reason to doubt anything untoward will happen. My query is "what if?".

It's all well and good saying "It won't happen, don't worry about it", however, i am sure many others have said the same and failing to plan or prepare has left them in a difficult situation when the worst did actually occur.
    The bit in bold is like asking 'how long is a piece of string'.
    It really depends on what your policy says.

I doubt very much that you'd be covered for the circumstance you are currently worrying about.
  • Ivrytwr3
    edited 9 July 2017 at 1:30PM
    Options
    Supplier failure covers insolvency. That is made quite clear in the Leisure Guard policy wording. An owner selling a property making it unavailable isn't the sort of thing covered by a standard insurance policy. When an owner decides to sell a property if they have bookings they can't honour they refund them. That is all they have to do.

My query is about the villa not being available in a few weeks, not next year ie it is a scam and there is no villa when we arrive - nothing to do with the owners selling the villa.

Also found the link to the full policy:

http://allpwps.insurefor.com/branding/allpwps/docs/LGLiteDirectPW16103.pdf
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    My query is about the villa not being available in a few weeks, not next year ie it is a scam and there is no villa when we arrive - nothing to do with the owners selling the villa.

Also found the link to the full policy:

http://allpwps.insurefor.com/branding/allpwps/docs/LGLiteDirectPW16103.pdf
    Why do you think it's a scam when your friend stayed in the villa and recommended it to you?
    Morning all,

Family of 4 and booked a villa direct with the owner. The villa was recommended by a colleague who has stayed there before.

Their villa is advertised on a rental villa website but you can also book direct through their own website - better price so we booked direct.

After payment the villa availability was matched to our booking on their own site and the villa company site, however, the villa has now been taken off the main website.

I have emailed, whatsapped and spoke with the UK owners (facebook stalked too ;)) who state that this is their last year renting and they are selling up. However, i do have a worry, just in case we get to our destination and we have no accommodation!

As recommended by MSE i have taken out hoiday insurance with Leisure Guard:

In the policy it mentions End Supplier Failure, are we covered if the villa is unavailable upon our arrival? And what's the procedure when we are there? Book in to a hotel? Call the insurance company?

We usually book package holidays and so first time booking direct. I'm 99% sure everything is fine, but i always look at worse case and need a contingency plan!
    Maybe the villa has been taken off the website because it's fully booked for this season and they are selling the property after the season ends and don't want any confusion with prospective customers.

I really do feel you are panicking unnecessarily.

I've not followed your link to the policy.
    So - are you covered?
  • leylandsunaddict
    leylandsunaddict Posts: 1,923 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No good putting a link to your policy here. You need to read it yourself. Can you see where you could possibly be covered?

Why would you think it's a scam if it was recommended to you by someone that has stayed there? It obviously isn't a scam or they couldn't have stayed in it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure