Told cant have holiday

Options

Comments

• Muscle750
    Muscle750 Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    Options
    There again i could go on the dole and have one constant holiday an expect the state to pay my way........................idiot
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,501 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Muscle750 wrote: »
    Ive submitted my holiday form 2 months before i want to take them ive been told i cant have them because someone else is off
    please enlighten me how i can improve the situation .... please tell me i must be missing something

Put your holidays in before everyone else for a change?
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    There again i could go on the dole and have one constant holiday an expect the state to pay my way........................idiot
    I don't realise that you had worked for the same company for 20 years, nor that this happens to you every year. I'm just wondering.... After 20 years, haven't you grasped the policy regarding booking of holidays? You must know this will happen at times, so why not be first in the queue for booking? Given that it is now September, you must have been pretty much the last one!
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,820 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Ive submitted my holiday form 2 months before i want to take them

Do you work not allow you to give notice sooner ?
    Although I believe there is a legislation covering the minimum amount of notice for holidays, as far as I'm aware there's no maximum, and in most of the places I've worked we'd be expected to request most of our holiday dates towards the start of the holiday year, especially if it's more than a single day or two.
  • Fireflyaway
    Options
    This used to happen in my old workplace. I was frequently told no, particularly if it was school holidays and lots of people wanted the same dates. Could you get your request in sooner? Unless the same people always get priority then its just part of work life unfortunately.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    And instead of making such comment please enlighten me how i can improve the situation i get 30 days holiday plus all the bank hols xmas etc so after 20 years plus in same company with pensions etc please tell me i must be missing something

Book your holidays earlier.
    Negotiate a new holiday booking system.
    Find a new job.

Or you could do nothing and post exactly the same thing in twelve months time.
  • flightboy
    Options
    Why dont you do what many people do with me...book earlier in the year so they get first dibs on the holiday dates/bank holidays/Christmas. Most book the dates most desired and then change later in the year if they need too

Failing that just speak to your manager and ask for a list of dates available putting the onus on them to find dates

Really not as hard as its being made
  • getmore4less
    Options
    flightboy wrote: »
    Why dont you do what many people do with me...book earlier in the year so they get first dibs on the holiday dates/bank holidays/Christmas. Most book the dates most desired and then change later in the year if they need too

Failing that just speak to your manager and ask for a list of dates available putting the onus on them to find dates

Really not as hard as its being made

the company can always refuse to let them change.
  • RichardD1970
    Options
    At our place our flexible days and service days are booked on a first come first served basis with only 2 people of per section at a time.

This does lead to a rush to book the popular times when the year planner is released (around the start of October usually).

Last year I had my request form filled out ready and went to see the manager before shift start on the day the calendar was released to ensure I got the days I wanted.

Holidays should all be booked by end of February or they can be allocated by management, although depending on the manager they can be flexible and I've never known them to stick to this.

Everyone knows the rules and there is rarely an issue.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Ive submitted my holiday form 2 months before i want to take them ive been told i cant have them because someone else is off, My holidays run from Jan to Dec and i get 30 days a year (yes im lucky).

If you don't put your holiday dates in until over half way through the year then it's not surprising that you aren't getting the dates you want, particularly if they are in the main holiday period. You need to get dates in at the beginning of the year, even if you have no firm plans at that time. That at least does give you dates you can rely on during the period of high demand.
    Any employer I have ever worked for has had a limit on the number / % of staff they allow to be off at any one time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure