Reality Check...

Comments

• monz
    monz Posts: 4,129 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud! Stoptober Survivor
    Hope you had a great we afternoon of rest :)
    Debt (1/9/14) £6,702.11 Debt free (30/11/2016) mortgage port- £70,077.82 and mortgage £126,517.39 o/s currently
    Debt - £17,190.83 (29/7/22) now (19/8/22) £16,688.80
  • Rachel24
    Rachel24 Posts: 214 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi reality check just checking in to see how you're getting on? Hope your all settled in with wee one and getting on okay with spends! Xx
  • reality_check
    reality_check Posts: 752 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 28 August 2017 at 3:11PM
    Thanks for posting Rachel :) I am really good thanks, just a walking zombie on no sleep! How are you? I am loving life with my new side kick, I could just stare at her all day! She is such a good baby who just wants to eat and sleep and only cries when she's hungry. It is so hard not to just pick her up and cuddle her all the time, but I am determined I am not going down that route of having a baby that screams the place down if not in your arms lol 4 weeks tomorrow, where has the time went!!

I feel like I don't have much to update my diary with, I am normally fine the first few weeks after pay day, it is the weeks after that I struggle with. I allocated a full months budget for food but we are off to Brighton so hopefully that gives me some wiggle room through the month if I need it - which I am sure I will! I am also very lucky that I am back in my pre-pregnancy clothes, so have options for things to wear!! The breast feeding diet really does work! (not that that's why I am doing it, obv!)
    In more non money saving news, I am wanting hair extentions :eek: right now my hair is just below shoulder length which I am happy with and I don't want it longer, I just want it thicker. It isn't cheap and will be about £300 ish... wanted them for about a year, but I am scared I then turn it into a necessity! Need done a few times a year so it's the last thing I need to get hooked on really :rotfl: saying that....I have about 90% decided that I am getting them - if their was an eye rolling emoji it would be apporpriate to insert him here! xxx
    Starting debt £18,675.63 :eek:
    Current debt: £5,000 (16/05/18)
  • My daughter has put me off hair extensions so leaving that idea for now! I am going to get my hair cut slightly shorter, so it sits on my shoulders as apparently that can make your hair thicker looking?! According to my friend who is not a hair dresser lol…My hair grows so fast so won’t be a disaster if I don’t like it.

Had a look at personal trainers, £45 a session!! Is this the going rate?! I got 2 prices and both the same, 3-4 times a week…100% out of my budget!!
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,011 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Had to smile at your 'breastfeeding diet' - so true! Also very MS :).

Personal training costs - wow! Can you join a running club, get an app (my favourite is the C25K family) or find a Mum & baby exercise class?

Incidentally - and nothing to do with money saving, just my opinion - picking the baby up won't hurt. My DD is the middle one of three and got carried round everywhere all the time as I had to know she was safe while keeping an eye on her very active brother! She's grown up now (so it didn't finish either of us off, lol) and a most superb communicator. She probably had a lot of that ability inherently but babies learn to communicate but having their communications answered. If they aren't answered, that's when they try hollering louder. So enjoy you daughter in the way your instincts tell you. If there are times when you have to make her wait because there's something else you have to attend to, that's when she starts to learn that she isn't the middle of the world. At this stage, though, she has no idea that you and she are separate people: she will grow mentally and emotionally by being with you (just be kind to yourself too, of course).
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • reality_check
    reality_check Posts: 752 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 4 September 2017 at 11:07AM
    I am going to get back into running, just thought a PT would help motivate me, which it would but not at those prices! I will have a look at the app – thanks :D I am starting a pram fit class so will see how we get on with that.

I wasn’t meaning controlled crying techniques with a new born, but I am going to try use this approach when she’s much older as it has really worked for friends. I was more meaning when she is lying there sleeping I have an urge just to pick her up all the time lol

I am currently in Brighton and want to move here! It is just a lovely place and lots of nice unique shops/places to eat, but it is very expensive!! xx
  • louby40
    louby40 Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    £45 for a PT is very expensive. £20-30 is the going rate round here. (I live in Stoke) my DP used to be a PT and he charged £25 but then offered a discount for block bookings!
  • Hi reality. Finally caught up with your diary - I've read through from February. What can I say? But I know what I can say:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!! 🎀🎀🎀🎀🎀🎀🎀🎀

(That's pink for a girl. I'm old-fashioned!:))

What fantastic news and lots of love to the three of you! Quite a life changer but you sound so very happy and contented. I wouldn't worry about spending on yourself for now - I think you deserve it.

I'm glad you're enjoying your trip away. Brighton is really buzzy and fun.

Re the personal trainer - I've signed up for six months. Pay monthly and it works out at £35 per session. That's local to me at home (south east Essex). In the City where I work Matt Roberts' gym down the road costs over £100! but the going rate in Central London still seems around the £60 mark. Still paying the above is getting my lazy backside to the gym!

SSG x
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • Re pts that is a bit steep that one 45 quid is top end of what pts will charge. Its all relative though depending on where you live in the country.
    Cashback Earnings YTD £46.04 Survey Earnings YTD £182.66
    "Always always train, be the best version of you that you can physically be"
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,011 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I wasn’t meaning controlled crying techniques with a new born, but I am going to try use this approach when she’s much older as it has really worked for friends. I was more meaning when she is lying there sleeping I have an urge just to pick her up all the time lol

Aww... :) I bet she's gorgeous!
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family