50% pip road tax change of procedures

Hi All

I today came home to what I thought was confirmation of 12 months road tax -50% pip discount.

Unfortunately 1st time since 2013 my application was declined.

Change of procedure- no longer does Dvla require original pip entitlement statement.

Dvla now require me to contact dwp/pip and request an up to date entitlement statement.

This meanIve had to pay full rate today and re claim 50% from Dvla once dip/pip send my up to date entitlement statement.

To re iterate I was taxing my car since 2013 with original PIP entitlement statement since 2013 including last year.

Thought I would let disabled mser’s know of this change which isn’t advertised anywhere, i.e. no one has been informed by Dvla of this change.

This was approx 2 weeks ago when I sent all relevant docs to Dvla including check for 50% road tax as I had done since 2013.
Replenished CRA Reports.2015 Zoe i nav -67-131 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500.

Comments

• I can fully understand that; after all someone could use an original PIP entitlement for ever.
  • Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    venison wrote: »
    I can fully understand that; after all someone could use an original PIP entitlement for ever.

Arrived after work today.

On day my road tax expires.

Whilst I apppreciate your answer, is it only me that thinks Dvla should be advising of this change.

MS is for life, why this discount is made difficult for disabled drivers is beyond me.

Online discount would make more sense.

No harm done , though that was 17th aug since I posted my docs.
    Replenished CRA Reports.2015 Zoe i nav -67-131 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,847
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Dandytf wrote: »
    Arrived after work today.

On day my road tax expires.

Whilst I apppreciate your answer, is it only me that thinks Dvla should be advising of this change.

MS is for life, why this discount is made difficult for disabled drivers is beyond me.

Online discount would make more sense.

No harm done , though that was 17th aug since I posted my docs.
    There's a lot of conditions that are for life but 2013 was a long time ago. PIP isn't for life as the longest award is 10 years with review at 9 years. I would expect DVLA to ask for a more up to date award notice.
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    There's a lot of conditions that are for life but 2013 was a long time ago. PIP isn't for life as the longest award is 10 years with review at 9 years. I would expect DVLA to ask for a more up to date award notice.

I wouldn't, if the award is for 5 years then surely the notice lasts 5 years? The dates are right there on the notice!
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    for a lot of things it's this year's award letter that's needed, I'd have expected it to be the same for this (but by the sounds of it I'd have been wrong!)
  • Dandytf
    Forumite
    w06 wrote: »
    for a lot of things it's this year's award letter that's needed, I'd have expected it to be the same for this (but by the sounds of it I'd have been wrong!)

Dvla advised this years award letter isn’’t accepted.

Which is why I’ve since called pip to request an upto date Statement of Entitlement.

Only replied to avoid any misinformation.

Thanks mser’s

At least I and maybe a few mser’s know what is required for 50% road tax pip discount.
  • Can't understand this change as i have just received all my documents back after taxing car on 1st Sept. I have used my statement of entitlement from 2016 which has the dates of my award, 3 stamps for the car on it, as we have just changed our car, and have received our rebate as we taxed 2 cars within 3 month's. No one from DVLA said we needed a new statement from PIP.
  • Dandytf
    Forumite
    edited 9 September 2017 at 10:22AM
    elle_may wrote: »
    Can't understand this change as i have just received all my documents back after taxing car on 1st Sept. I have used my statement of entitlement from 2016 which has the dates of my award, 3 stamps for the car on it, as we have just changed our car, and have received our rebate as we taxed 2 cars within 3 month's. No one from DVLA said we needed a new statement from PIP.

I had all my docs returned stamps on original pip statement -including 2 previous cars.

My entitlement statement is from 2012.

Hopefully I’ll get my new upto date statement next few days or maybe 1 or 2 weeks.

Nice that your 2016 statement was accepted:)

Doesn’t explain what I was advised since I called Dvla on receipt of my returned docs.

Not too worry, at least I can use my new statment next few years.
  • Dandytf
    Forumite
    edited 9 September 2017 at 10:21AM
    Final post for this road tax 50% pip reduction claim.

Today my brand new upto date stetment of entitlement arrived dated 1st Sept 2017.

Moving forward I will make use of this statement almost immediately as last advised by dvla to claim difference in cost of paying full rate for 6 mths tax a few weeks ago.

From March 2018 thankfully I once again have all the required docs to return to 12mths road tax@50% rate.

Please consider this thread mser’s if faced with a decline for road tax from dvla.
  • melbury
    melbury Posts: 13,250
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    When my OH changed his car a couple of years ago the DVLA would not accept his original statement of entitlement as when it had previously been sent to them, somebody had handwritten the old car's registration number on it. So we had to pay full amount and then get a new statement of entitlement and do the whole claim again.

What I can't understand is that they have full access to all information about who owns what car by just putting in the registration number, so they could see that OH was the registered keeper and the old vehicle had been sold.

It seems a totally crazy way of having to go about claiming the 50%, surely there could be a simpler way?
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport