PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

basic bread recipe in breadmaker! help!!!

Comments

• zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    oh bum, i wish i knew that yesterday. Bread here i come! Thanks :j

it's on. iots all very exciting. i just stood and watched it for a few minutes. how exciting. I think this is going ot be the longest 3 hours of my life.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    k, 13 minutes left. It says i have to leave the bread in the tin 15 mins but im starving and have been waiting all this time! Does it matter if i do or dont ?

Better be nice all this waiting.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• Has anyone got a recipe to make bread in breadmaker. I have no dried milk but have read somewhere you don't have to have milk. I intend to mix dough in breadmaker then bake in oven.

Please use measurements in cup sizes and spoons thanks
    became debt free December 06
  • fletch3163
    fletch3163 Posts: 900 Forumite
    Hello everyone

I've hankered after a breadmaker since being on here but could never justify getting one (mainly in case I'm mince at using it). I did, however, remember my mum had one sitting gathering dust and, as they all descended upon me yesterday I begged mother for the BM. She obliged:T BUT.............

I have no idea how to use it (no manual) and I can find nothing online. The make is JMB but I've no idea of size. It's big but the actual tin thing inside is only about 6 inches by 8 inches (thumb/forefinger span stretch)

Can anyone help me with how much dough/yeast/water/sugar, etc I need to use to try it out. Nothing fancy required. it's got buttons for basic, dough, sweet, etc.

Any help gratefully received. Can't believe I now get one and have no clue how to use it.
    Grocery Challenge M: £450/£425.08 A: £400/£:eek:.May -£400/£361 June £380/£230 (pages 18 & 27 explain)
  • Soubrette
    Soubrette Posts: 4,118 Forumite
    Do you have a model number anywhere?

If not here is a general breadmaker advice site:

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/breadmachinemanual.htm

Sou
  • wssla00
    wssla00 Posts: 1,875 Forumite
    edited 5 April 2010 at 4:29PM
    I would try a medium loaf to see how you go first. If you need any more, you can always increase quantities.

here is the one from my panny for a med white loaf.

3/4 tsp yeast
    400g bread flour
    1tsp sugar
    15g butter
    1tsp salt
    270 ml water

Put it on a basic white bread cycle. I love my bread maker :)
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
  • fletch3163
    Thanks so much for your replies.

Am so anxious to try it I've scribbled the recipe and am away to try.

I shall go visit the hillbillyhousewife site when I've got going. I know what I'm like on these sites. I lose all sense of time when I go on. Will post my findings soon. Imagine how cool it will be if I can successfully make bread? Can I make just dough with it and bake in the oven do you think? I could do rolls:T

Am getting ahead of myself now, can you tell?
    Grocery Challenge M: £450/£425.08 A: £400/£:eek:.May -£400/£361 June £380/£230 (pages 18 & 27 explain)
  • wssla00
    If you put on a dough mix, it will mix and do the first rise. You will then need to do the shaping and second rise yourself. These have always turned out great....
  • fletch3163
    Right, machine is buzzing away merrily. Am SO excited:o

It hadn't occured to me that there's an order for putting things in so I did flour, yeast, sugar, salt, water in that order, hope it's OK.

I've been in Hillbillyhousewife and have learned two things of a chemical nature. 1 is the salt is for controlling th yeast activity (ie makes sure it's not too much) and you can add a wee bit of vinegar which apparently keeps it fresher a bit longer, given there's no additives it apparently doesn't have a long shelf life (not that freshly baked bread would be left long in my house:o)

Been for a wee peek in the lid and there was some flour stuck up the sides that doesn't seem to be collected by the paddle. Is this normal? I gave it a helping hand with a teaspoon but would it have come good if I'd left it do you think? So many questions
  • wssla00
    Yeah it would have done it in itself. The order i posted of ingredients is the order my machine says to put things in. Liquid always goes in last :) If you think about the flour, the machine mixes rests (which makes the dough rise) then mixes again then rests again (i think) which is why it will all go in the end.

Oh! And if like me you don't have a window in your bread machine, don't open the lid anymore as it will make the heat escape and stop the bread rising. Trust the breadmaker LOL!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport