MSE News: Big six energy firms must tell customers their best tariff

This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"The big six energy companies have agreed to write to customers to tell them the firm's best tariffs for them"

Comments

• penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    More spoon feeding from the yellow stains in the coalition.
    What's next, legislating for all checkout operators to advise you you could have bought a cheaper brand?
    All this means in addition to the fuel surcharge so the middle classes can stick ecobling on their roofs, prices will rise as the can't be bothered brigade get cheaper bills.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • jalexa
    jalexa Posts: 3,448 Forumite
    Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg is expected to say today:"...Yet people rarely switch, despite the fact some families could save up to £100 a year..."

Where was he (or Hugne before he had to speed off) on "sudden excessive hikes" of £100/month (or more) at 10 days notice due to 'spring' or 'short year' direct debit alignment?

Anyway, think his measure through (assuming you can get your head round "best"), this is a measure which will deter, not encourage, competitive switching.
  • Is this the best the ConDems can come up with....!

Surely national Govt. has better things to do than pander to all the lazy gits in society who can't be bother to look for a better deal in EVERY aspect of life :mad:
  • Dave_save
    Dave_save Posts: 362
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Let me guess. Local elections coming up? I really do not think any MP actually understands the switching process and the competition in the market. Is Cleggy saying that, if I'm with nPower, they'll tell me every year what their cheapest tariffs are? If so, what is the point? Surely competition comes from the easy ability to switch between suppliers, not stay with your own supplier because they are 'being more open'!

Looks like Dave gave Cleggy a few scraps to help the LibDems in the local elections.
  • These are actually worse than the last lot. See my avatar. :p
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Please don't call me.

They are not going to work out before hand that I am already on the best tariff, so the call will be going through a whole load of user security, after which they will ask WHICH tariff I am ON. I bet they will ask ME how much gas I use a year!
    They will then decide that a three year FIXED tariff will provide the certainty of outgoing costs is BEST for me.

Arrrggghhh!
  • molley
    molley Posts: 528
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    More bollox from the ConDems .So they contact users once a year ...what if they contact a user then a better deal comes out after the contact and the user doesnt become aware of it ...do they contact the user again ..No so what's the whole point of this ...Users need to check and switch ..check and switch themselves .
    The real problem is the same as it has been for ages ...the COST of Gas and Electricity
  • ferry
    ferry Posts: 1,998
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    If the saving on both is only going to be around £100 a year that shows that there really isn't much difference between tarriffs.
    :j
  • lithopsian
    lithopsian Posts: 108 Forumite
    It's a publicity stunt for politicians that will have very little effect on fuel bills. A few people might be persuaded to switch to a considerably cheaper tariff, the rest of us will pay a few pounds extra each year to compensate, but mostly energy bills will keep going up until it starts raining coal ;)
  • Terrylw1
    Terrylw1 Posts: 7,038 Forumite
    Looks like EDF's new policy was always in the pipeline but they've jumped the gun just telling the public there was a thick brown envelope involved.
    :rotfl: It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure