JSA - contributions based entitlement running out

Hi all

I have been notified that my contributions based JSA will run out next month. Obviously I want to be in employment and am trying very very hard to get a job. However if I am unsuccessful in securing employment does this mean that my JSA will stop completely? Or do I switch to income based JSA? If so, is there a difference in the rate of benefit paid out?

Thanks.

Snowy

Comments

• gordikin
    gordikin Posts: 4,422 Forumite
    SnowyOwl, this question has been asked on MSE many times and recently if my memory serves me...do a 'search'.
  • elkay115
    elkay115 Posts: 6,581 Forumite
    gordikin wrote: »
    SnowyOwl, this question has been asked on MSE many times and recently if my memory serves me...do a 'search'.

Or you could just be helpful. :rolleyes:

SnowyOwl - It will depend on your circumstances on whether you go onto income based JSA. It depends on if you have a partner and how much they earn. Income based JSA is the same as Contribution JSA as far as I am aware.
  • gordikin
    elkay115 wrote: »

SnowyOwl - It will depend on your circumstances on whether you go onto income based JSA. It depends on if you have a partner and how much they earn. Income based JSA is the same as Contribution JSA as far as I am aware.

I thought I was...a search will give a whole load of answers quickly. Rather than a one post it will depend/it depends...it's the same, which means sweet FA
  • SnowyOwl_2
    SnowyOwl_2 Posts: 5,257
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    gordikin wrote: »

Hmm, has your motorbike got an ashtray?
  • SnowyOwl_2
    SnowyOwl_2 Posts: 5,257
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    elkay115 wrote: »

Hi elkay - thanks for your constructive reply!

I am single & live alone, ie no family, no partner, no children, no dependants. When I applied for JSA I applied for both contribution based and income based as I was unsure which was correct as I'm unsure of the rules. The letter I received only mentioned that my contribution benefit was going to run out, and there was nothing about what would happen at that point if my circumstances remain unchanged.

BTW I had a look at the sticky for FAQs at the top of the page to see if I could find the answer before posting the question. Since there are so many ifs and buts with benefits it was difficult to find an answer which applied to me.

Thanks.

Snowy
  • fazste
    fazste Posts: 37 Forumite
    Hi,
    After the time limit has expired for your NI based jsa, you will be able to file a new claim for income based jsa.
    Also consider looking at housing benefit if you haven't already.
  • Buba09
    Buba09 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Hi Snowy! I agree with the others, this happened to my sister she was on Contribution based JSA and was informed that this would be ending so you get moved to Income based JSA as you live alone apply for HB & CTB as these are based on Income I wouldn't see there being a problem with you getting help. Goodluck!!

HTH
  • Board Guide Comment

Please be nice to all MoneySavers. There's no such thing as a stupid question, and even if you disagree courtesy helps.
  • gordikin
    SnowyOwl wrote: »
    Hmm, has your motorbike got an ashtray?

No..but I'll happily do a 'search' for you and post the results for you
  • NASA_2
    NASA_2 Posts: 5,571 Forumite
    fazste wrote: »
    Hi,
    After the time limit has expired for your NI based jsa, you will be able to file a new claim for income based jsa.
    Also consider looking at housing benefit if you haven't already.
    Its not a new claim as such - a JSA3 needs to be completed and this should be sent out automatically about 2-3 weeks befire JSA(C) runs out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure