TV Licence article Discussion

Comments

• Stephenbw wrote: »
    The logical extension of this is to pay for each programme, as there must be Sky programmes you are paying for but don't watch.

What on earth do you watch? The BBC has the broadest range of TV (and Radio) programmes of any broadcaster. I find it hard to believe that there is nothing that appeals to you.

People want to be given their right to choose what to watch and pay for.
    Dont want to go into tech details of this and that , whose right and whose wrong. Just a persons right to choose thats all.
  • Stephenbw wrote: »
    The logical extension of this is to pay for each programme, as there must be Sky programmes you are paying for but don't watch.

What on earth do you watch? The BBC has the broadest range of TV (and Radio) programmes of any broadcaster. I find it hard to believe that there is nothing that appeals to you.

* I don't listen to the radio, I listen to cds. And when I do listen to it, it's Hallam FM/DearneFM.
    * I don't go on the BBC websites, as I use other news sites, and therez nothing else for me on there.
    * Nothing on the BBC channels as I don't watch soaps, and I watch news on ITV... so morning, GMTV, maybe This Morning, Calendar.. then evening shows... all not BBC.

I've checked through the whole of tonight and therez nothing I'd watch, BBC1, BBC2 (oh, BBC3 has family guy, but I have them on dvd), BBC4 nothing. I even checked through the rest of the week, not a sausage.

Let me get this right...

TV License = £139.50 (so like £11.60 a month) 4 channels, radio and internet website), none of which I use
    SKY = £19 (100s of channels, includes SKY+), oh and broadband... skytalk
    CNN, sky news websites (all free)

Any other questions :D

I like lots of shows, none of them being on the BBC. Can't remember the last time I watched it, lol.

So, the 100s of other channels seem to run fine on their adverts, why can't the BBC?

I would be happier if they gave the money to hospitals, or something that deserves my money.
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    JimArnold wrote: »
    I am currently on my 4th e mails to the TVL asking them where the legislation about aerials can be found Each time they quote about mains connections and totally ignore the question about aerials

The trouble with TVL is that they are not only cowboys, but they are inept cowboys at that !
    The reason they don't answer the question is because there is nothing about aerials in the legislation.

It may be rather like the statement from them (which I can't find now, perhaps they have removed it !) to the effect that it is an offence to view or record live TV without a licence but that it is also an offence to possess a TV with the intent to watch without a licence.
    1. The legislation doesn't say that.
    2. How on earth do they intend to make "possession with intent to view "stand up in Court - it is laughable !

What really p***** me off is that a proportion of my licence fee is being spent on this bunch of no-hopers.
  • Stephenbw
    Stephenbw Posts: 119 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    joetonner wrote: »
    People want to be given their right to choose what to watch and pay for.
    Dont want to go into tech details of this and that , whose right and whose wrong. Just a persons right to choose thats all.

So if I don't watch the commercial channels can I choose to have a discount on my grocery shopping? :D
  • exprog
    exprog Posts: 413 Forumite
    Stephenbw wrote: »
    So if I don't watch the commercial channels can I choose to have a discount on my grocery shopping? :D

You can have a 100% discount: just don't buy the products whose advertising has offended you. That would be called making a choice.
  • George_Bray
    George_Bray Posts: 734 Forumite
    lamp wrote: »
    I look forward to the day TV licencing collapses.

I agree. Even if you accept that the BBC should receive almost £200 per household for watching TV - even if you accept that - it is so incredibly inefficient. The number of households without a TV is so few, that efforts should continue to be focussed on them, on a sort of exception basis. You should have to apply to be exempted in order to be in that category - a non TV user.

EVERYONE ELSE (i.e. like 99% of us) should simply pay for the TV licence as part of our Council Tax. This would save 90% of the cost of running the TV licencing office, surely It would save £ millions. OK, it would throw hundreds of TV licensing employees out of work but so what?
  • weegie.geek
    weegie.geek Posts: 3,432 Forumite
    cogder wrote: »
    TV License = £139.50 (so like £11.60 a month) 4 channels, radio and internet website)

BBC1/2/3/4/News/Parliament/CBBC/CBeebies/BBCi is more than 4 channels. There's then the regional channels, BBC Scotland, Ireland, Wales etc.

There are 10+ radio stations, and a fantastic website imo.

There's a lot of stuff on the BBC that I like, but I for one don't listen to the radio at all, so I grudge paying for it. The shows I watch on TV more than make up for it though. I also don't use BBCi, or watch the two kids' channels or the Parliament channel.
    They say it's genetic, they say he can't help it, they say you can catch it - but sometimes you're born with it
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    IThe number of households without a TV is so few, that efforts should continue to be focussed on them, on a sort of exception basis. You should have to apply to be exempted in order to be in that category - a non TV user.

As I said in my first post, this is, in effect, what TV Licensing are doing now just to make their life easy. I, and many others, who have had TVL threatening us and harassing us for no valid reason whatsoever find this extremely distasteful.
    Even if you manage to persuade TVL that you don't need a licence they only give you a maximum of two years peace before they start the whole harassment procedure all over again.

Perhaps the only way to resolve this problem is to make all TV subscription only - then listen to all the moaning and carping !
  • erm everyone seems to have forgotten that not all of the license goes to the BBC. the commercial channels do get something from it too (admittedly not a lot)

Also, channels like discovery do a lot of their programming in conjunction with the BBC.
    UKTV group of channels are almost all BBC re-runs.

Remove all rthe programmes that have some form of BBC input and then tell me you don't watch anything the BBC do.
  • exprog
    exprog Posts: 413 Forumite
    Remarkable how generous people are with other people's money. The BBC appeals to those who lap-up the unending stream of leftwing propaganda rubbish it pukes out day and night. It only exists because people are, in effect, forced to pay for it. Those who like beeb drivel should not expect to have their propaganda paid for them by other people. Then see how much of it survives.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback