MSE News: MSE Big Energy Switch Event 5: British Gas £300/yr saving for new &...

Options

Comments

• allan2006
    Options
    have any existing bg dual fuel customers done this?

I noticed when you get further down the line of doing this they ask for a lot of details dob, mother maiden name, direct debit details etc and account numbers

is this going to be opening a whole new account and credit checking again even though im an existing customer already paying by direct debit?

Would my bg smart meter still work or would doing this mess it up?

if i did do this how long does it take for mse/msupmkt/bg to change the details over?

if i moved within the next 12 months does that mean i would need to pay the £40 termination fee?
  • MidLifeMayhem
    Options
    Can I ask those who have switched using the collective, have you received two separate joining emails from BG? I've only received one for electricity.
  • denise38
    Options
    You'll need to register with the existing suppliers to your new home on the day you move in - you can't do it before.

As soon as you are registered , normally it's as soon as you make that call, you can apply to switch supplier.

I don't know when this tariff is going to end in regards to applications, but I suspect it won't be available anymore in 5 weeks time.

Just pick the best available supplier & tariff availanble at the time :)

In regards to your current situation, then I wouldn't worry too much. The cost difference of any electricity you use for the next 5 weeks is unlikley to be huge. But a simple and easy solution would be to call your exoisting supplier and ask for the best deal for you from them, otherwsie you will be on their variable tariff which is usually the most expensive. As I said, you won't save a fortune, but it might save you a few pennies.

Don't worry about any early exit fees that may be suggested - they don't apply if you move home :)

The house I am moving to is with SSE for gas and British Gas for electricity. I am with eon just now . I would like yo sign up to SSE 2 year fixed deal so wouldn't be changing gas supply but would be changing electricity . If it takes up to 6 weeks I will be stuck with eon till I move and possibly after. Will call SSE and see if it's possible to have my energy start on day I move .
    I have never met a calorie yet I didn't like!!
  • brila
    brila Posts: 126 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    The comparison is still not working for me. Is it down? Third evening running...
    On a mission.
  • r2015
    r2015 Posts: 1,136 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Can I ask those who have switched using the collective, have you received two separate joining emails from BG? I've only received one for electricity

My welcome email had both gas and electricity on it.
    over 73 but not over the hill.
  • SpanishBlue
    Options
    r2015 wrote: »
    My welcome email had both gas and electricity on it.

Same here. The 1st line of my email reads....

"Thanks for choosing us as your gas and electricity supplier."
  • pstuart
    pstuart Posts: 668 Forumite
    Options
    Can I ask those who have switched using the collective, have you received two separate joining emails from BG? I've only received one for electricity.

We got the Electricity first and four days later the Gas!!
  • barneydog
    barneydog Posts: 2,796 Forumite
    Options
    I am a member of the Energy Club so I qualify for it but could I switch my parents using the MSE big switch?, they are with BG already
    Don't take life too seriously, no one gets out alive
  • MidLifeMayhem
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I'll give them a ring a see if they're also switching the gas.
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    barneydog wrote: »
    I am a member of the Energy Club so I qualify for it but could I switch my parents using the MSE big switch?, they are with BG already

If you provide your user id & password to your parents, they can modify the information (address, current supplier(s) and tariff(s), usage, etc) and then they can switch themself.

You will have to create another user id for yourself if you want to continue to use the CEC (which will not be eligible for this collective tariff)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure