WASPI Campaign .... State Pensions

Comments

• missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    saver861 wrote: »
    Majority is probably the 'word' you are looking for ...

Married womans stamp was pretty much useless and should never have been an option ...

No more than it would be acceptable for Tescos' to sell Eggs at £1 per dozen or sell empty egg boxes at 70p ....

Big yourself up for making the right 'choice' so many did not ... why would that be I wonder ....

I think it was well known that the "Married Woman's Stamp" wouldn't pay out for a pension in your own right. Many women (including my mother) chose to pay it because they wanted the money in their pocket at the time, which is fair enough, however, choices have consequences.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Majority is probably the 'word' you are looking for ...
    I'm happy with the word I chose.
    Married womans stamp was pretty much useless and should never have been an option ...
    No more than it would be acceptable for Tescos' to sell Eggs at £1 per dozen or sell empty egg boxes at 70p ....
    What a load of tosh!
    What does it even mean?
    Big yourself up for making the right 'choice' so many did not ... why would that be I wonder ....
    I'm not bigging myself up.
    I'm stating a fact.
    I was offered a choice.
    I chose.

It was discussed in detail in the office I worked in - lots of young women around my age.
    Most of the ones who intended to leave work to start a family chose to pay the 'married womans stamp'. In full knowledge of what it would mean decades later.
    They are probably bleating that they were dis-empowered, just the same as Trudy from Somerset.
  • mumps
    mumps Posts: 6,285 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Extract from Trudy from Somerset's rambings:
    Trudy - you're missing the word 'some' from the above.
    Some women of the 50’s didn’t have the opportunities men had and some didn’t enjoy the life style of women folk of today, some (they) didn’t even have equal pay, still don’t, they had no choice but to pay their contributions by law at the same rate as men.
    Exactly.
    They were given the option.
    Any dis-empowerment was of their choosing.

I was given the option.
    I chose to pay full NI.

The whole diatribe from Trudy is ill-thought out.
    Pure WASPI-ese.

I always paid the full NI, never understand why people just seemed to do it without thinking it through. However, it isn't so different today. Having run a large HR and payroll department I was always amazed at how little people seem to understand about taxes and NI, the fallacies they believe (one that would come up over and over again was "I'm a student so I don't have to pay tax" I considered making a recording about that one as I had to go through it so often.)

I think people on here are the exceptions as they have taken the trouble to educate themselves.
    Sell £1500

2831.00/£1500
  • mumps
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    Most of the ones who intended to leave work to start a family chose to pay the 'married womans stamp'. In full knowledge of what it would mean decades later.
    They are probably bleating that they were dis-empowered, just the same as Trudy from Somerset.

This is an example of what I was referring to above. Women intending to have a family were mad to pay the lower stamp, they lost maternity benefits and while they were at home they didn't benefit from the home responsibilities protection. They were exactly the women who had very little to gain and lots to lose from this decision.
    Sell £1500

2831.00/£1500
  • mumps
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    I think it was well known that the "Married Woman's Stamp" wouldn't pay out for a pension in your own right. Many women (including my mother) chose to pay it because they wanted the money in their pocket at the time, which is fair enough, however, choices have consequences.

Sometimes people have to make a tough choice, I hope it was the right decision for her.
    Sell £1500

2831.00/£1500
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    mumps wrote: »
    I always paid the full NI, never understand why people just seemed to do it without thinking it through. However, it isn't so different today. Having run a large HR and payroll department I was always amazed at how little people seem to understand about taxes and NI, the fallacies they believe (one that would come up over and over again was "I'm a student so I don't have to pay tax" I considered making a recording about that one as I had to go through it so often.)

I think people on here are the exceptions as they have taken the trouble to educate themselves.

I'm not sure that's totally true. My mother wasn't an educated woman, she worked most of her life in domestic service and as a cleaner, but I clearly remember her explaining about the reduced NIC and how she'd decided.

I do think many people claim ignorance afterwards if they think "compo" might be involved.
  • Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    What a load of baloney - makes me ashamed to be a woman and sums up my reasons for being anti Waspi.

Don't be ashamed missbiggles1. There is no communal responsibility for the nonsense Trudy has written, and you have made your opinions very clear throughout this thread.

If anyone should be ashamed it's slightlymiffed for posting it, with a view to "enlighten" people with it.

Before I leave this forum, maybe this first hand experience, written by a Waspi member, might enlighten some of you. Probably not - your prejudices run deep - but at least I've tried.
  • saver861
    saver861 Posts: 1,408 Forumite
    I'm happy with the word I chose.

Sadly, I can imagine you are!!

No doubt you think only 'some' women did not have the same opportunities, had a lesser existence, etc etc. Not all women no, but maybe you need to read up a little more on the lives of the majority and often less fortunate women, simply because they were female.
    What a load of tosh!
    What does it even mean?

You seem to be clever on everything ... I'll let you work it out!!

I'm not bigging myself up.
    I'm stating a fact.
    I was offered a choice.
    I chose.

Do you really think such a 'choice' would be allowed today?
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Do you really think such a 'choice' would be allowed today?
    Don't you realise the world is constantly changing?

Why, just a few years ago, women were getting their state pension at age 60. :rotfl:

It's irrelevant whether such a 'choice' would be allowed today.

The fact is that it was a choice.
  • mumps
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    I'm not sure that's totally true. My mother wasn't an educated woman, she worked most of her life in domestic service and as a cleaner, but I clearly remember her explaining about the reduced NIC and how she'd decided.

I do think many people claim ignorance afterwards if they think "compo" might be involved.

Previous generations educated themselves in other ways, your mother would probably have been the equivalent of a MSE user in her day. My mother and grandmother were also women who investigated something before deciding but I know, because of the work I did, that an awful lot of people don't investigate things and the sad thing is they aren't particularly interested if you try to explain it to them unless there is money to be had in the short term.
    Sell £1500

2831.00/£1500
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family