Warning: Exemplar Education

Options

Comments

• Spanishomelette
    Options
    Wow, thank you for the warning, and I hope you get this matter sorted out very soon. The reason I am particularly grateful you have highlighted this is that I work for a school and these people have been phoning several times a day for weeks, originally just asking for the headteacher by name each time, never willing to leave a message or send details by email, but always sounding as if the head was expecting their call (oldest trick in the book, I know!). Then the calls became more friendly towards me, along the lines of "Hi Fred, this is Jane". So much so that I was wondering who the heck Jane was, did I know her? They actually pay schools a fee to send out flyers to parents, and apparently then offer a bonus for each child signed up. It all sounds very simple and innocent. I personally would be devastated if our school had agreed to send Exemplar's leaflets out and one of our parents was in your situation. As other people have said, do make your school aware of it.
  • sekky
    sekky Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I am having issues with exemplar too. I was told i could stop anytime and continue later but it is so difficult to cancel now. i have been on the phone with them and its been so disturbing.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,129 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    from the FAQ page

Can we stop and re-start using Exemplar at any time?
    Yes. You purchase Exemplar outright, so it!!!8217;s yours to use as you feel appropriate, although we would strongly recommend introducing a regular study routine for each child to get the very best from your Exemplar programme.

Children should, on average, watch one or two lessons a week, but if they need to stop for a brief period such as a family holiday, that!!!8217;s fine. Although, please remember that your Exemplar is specifically there to help your children improve and ultimately reach their full learning potential.

If you have chosen the Exemplar subscription option then, subject to the notice period, you can completely stop using it and then re-start again subject to your requirements, but again we would stress that Exemplar is specifically there to help children improve and ultimately reach their full learning potential and erratic study habits would be detrimental to the effects of any tuition provided.
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    suejb2 wrote: »
    Wow they don't look a good company.

They have had so many company name changes and insolvenies (sp)

I went online chat and asked Sarah for a contact telephone number. After a grilling why I needed it she gave me 0800 048 8692.

Good luck with stopping the contract.

Their website gives 0800 1777 999 on the contact page.
  • UKSBD
    UKSBD Posts: 797 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    my lad came home from school with one of their leaflets yesterday which they wanted back in this morning.

I wouldn't fill it in and now he is feeling really pressurised by the school to hand it in tomorrow.

I'm not going to let him but now he is grumpy with me.

Schools shouldn't be allowed to presurise the kids like this :(
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Give the school a link to this thread ....and tell the school that you know that they receive a fee for sending out these flyers!
  • pearl123
    pearl123 Posts: 2,056 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    UKSBD wrote: »
    my lad came home from school with one of their leaflets yesterday which they wanted back in this morning.

I wouldn't fill it in and now he is feeling really pressurised by the school to hand it in tomorrow.

I'm not going to let him but now he is grumpy with me.

Schools shouldn't be allowed to presurise the kids like this :(
    Whoever has given your son these leaflets needs to do their research.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    At any rate, those of you who've been scammed can't say you haven't been taught at least one important lesson: do as much research as possible before parting with cash or signing anything that looks like a contract.
  • regwalker
    Options
    Just posted a review on Trust Pilot and Exemplar doing everything they can to have it removed. tells you all you need to know about the nasty company they are.
  • harrys_dad
    harrys_dad Posts: 1,997 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would advise you to contact the school, both the Head Teacher and the Chair of Governors. If it is a Local Authority school I would also suggest copying in the Director of Education/Childrens services.

I suggest you ask the following questions:

(i)Who made the decision to send out these leaflets?
    If this was the Governing Body then please send me minutes of the appropriate meeting. If it was not the full Governing Body then did the person concerned have delegated authority to take this decision? if so, please send me an appropriate minute that covers this delegation.

(ii) How much money did the school receive for sending out these leaflets? What has this money been spent on?

(iii) How many pupils signed up for this programme? How much additional money did the school receive for these students? What has this money been spent on?

(iii) What steps did the school take regarding due diligence of the the company offering this programme, both in terms of educational value and value for money? Were any other schools contacted for feedback on the programme?

(iv) What action will the school now take to assist me with exiting this programme without financial penalty now that my financial circumstances have changed and I find it unaffordable?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback