Boiler Thread

Comments

• http://prnt.sc/el13v8

I have attached the image above, i cant upload a file so have added this to a free screen shot website.

To explain the image, i have an immersion heater:

1) The bottom element in the 'Off Peak' and links to the wall switch at the front of the image

2) the middle element is the 'On Peak' and links to the wall switch furthest away

3) The over flow pipe is the right hand side pipe with the white plastic casing, the black casing just above that allows you to see the water running off, and you can put your finger in to see if it is cold or hot water.

For two days now we have not used the switch at the back, the middle element, i have only had the economy 7 switched on, the bottom element, switch at the front.

Each element housing unit has a small dial in there, i have both temperature gauges set to the middle.

This morning i woke up and found the following:

1) The front switch was on, the economy 7 (off peak).
    2) I checked the bottom element and the metal casing was cold.
    3) The switch at the back was off (on peak)
    4) The middle element, the on peak, was too hot to touch
    5) hot water was pouring out of the overflow pipe on the right.

How is that possible, the economy opp peak switch was on but the off peak element was hot.

Its like the' Krypton Factor' has come back.

Any ideas?

I have booked an electrician and a plumber next Thursday to work together.

Thanks.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    c5efc1e738414453909ba17f98f84a04.jpg
  • Rubidium
    Rubidium Posts: 663
    First Post
    Forumite
    http://prnt.sc/el13v8

I have attached the image above, i cant upload a file so have added this to a free screen shot website.

To explain the image, i have an immersion heater:

1) The bottom element in the 'Off Peak' and links to the wall switch at the front of the image

2) the middle element is the 'On Peak' and links to the wall switch furthest away

3) The over flow pipe is the right hand side pipe with the white plastic casing, the black casing just above that allows you to see the water running off, and you can put your finger in to see if it is cold or hot water.

For two days now we have not used the switch at the back, the middle element, i have only had the economy 7 switched on, the bottom element, switch at the front.

Each element housing unit has a small dial in there, i have both temperature gauges set to the middle.

This morning i woke up and found the following:

1) The front switch was on, the economy 7 (off peak).
    2) I checked the bottom element and the metal casing was cold.
    3) The switch at the back was off (on peak)
    4) The middle element, the on peak, was too hot to touch
    5) hot water was pouring out of the overflow pipe on the right.

How is that possible, the economy opp peak switch was on but the off peak element was hot.

Its like the' Krypton Factor' has come back.

Any ideas?

I have booked an electrician and a plumber next Thursday to work together.

Thanks.

You are booking the wrong tradesmen if this has not be resolved after five visits!

Any electrician should be able to test and verify that the immersion heaters are working correctly very easily.

Water should not be overflowing into the tundish and this proves that you have employed unsuitable unqualified general plumbers.

Unvented hot water systems should only be installed and serviced by a qualified and competent person holding a current G3 Unvented Qualification.

You said that you would provide the make and model of the cylinder and your picture is not good enough quality to see this.

Do your storage heaters charge overnight as they should? If not post pictures of your consumer unit, meter and any time switches is fitted.
  • Cardew
    Forumite
    There are several versions of Economy 7 supply.

Most(not all) newer properties have all electricity consumed in the property in the 7 hour off-peak period register on the off-peak register. The clock by the meter only switches the electricity supply to the peak(for 17 hours) and off-peak(for 7 hours) registers.

Other properties are wired so the immersion heater and storage heaters are powered only during the 7 hours off-peak. i.e. in your case, supply to your bottom immersion heater will only happen at off-peak times.

It will be very easy for an electrician to connect the bottom immersion heater to a(normal) 240 volt supply and check it is working or not.
  • In answer to the questions:

1) I had an electrician attended on the first two visits and they claimed everything was fine. As i live in rented property, i don't get to choose the company who does the repair work, it is the landlord.

2) the only reference to the name of the item i can find is 210L HYDHS38A, Hydroflow.

3) I have been here 10 years so it was installed a long time ago, i suspect the guys who have been to fix it, have made it worse.

4) The Economy 7 does come on over night, as i also have electric storage heaters, but during the night it is the day time element that is getting hot.

5) '...i.e. in your case, supply to your bottom immersion heater will only happen at off-peak times.'... True, that is what used to happen, we used to get a lot of hot water, now we have been struggling with about 50% all in all of what we used to get.

Unfortunately, the only picture i have with me in work of my meter is this one:

http://prnt.sc/el397o

Its not great quality, the electric company have offered to change the meter...
  • Cardew
    Forumite
    I
    Unfortunately, the only picture i have with me in work of my meter is this one:

http://prnt.sc/el397o

Its not great quality, the electric company have offered to change the meter...
    That is a normal E7 meter, there is normally a mechanical clock that moves a pointer from the 'low register' to 'normal' register.

29fde577dd804e9d8ede1fb87886af00.jpg
  • Could there be something wrong with the meter, is that what you think? I have looked around the meter and there is nothing like that on it.
  • Cardew
    Forumite
    edited 17 March 2017 at 2:22PM
    Could there be something wrong with the meter, is that what you think? I have looked around the meter and there is nothing like that on it.

No I don't think the meter is faulty.

This is a typical mechanical clock. However if your storage heaters are working, it isn't the clock either. I take it the electrician would have checked the RCB(fuse trip) for the lower immersion heater.

10ndcfb.jpg
  • Well, the electrician claimed he did, i have him and a plumber coming on Thursday next week and i will be talking to them and try to figure out what they have done and are doing.

My mete doesn't have anything like this, my supplier have offered to change the meter just in case thought.
  • Cardew
    Forumite
    Well, the electrician claimed he did, i have him and a plumber coming on Thursday next week and i will be talking to them and try to figure out what they have done and are doing.

My mete doesn't have anything like this, my supplier have offered to change the meter just in case thought.

It could be that it has a 'teleswitch'

Economy 7 Meter and Teleswitcher
    300px-Economy_7_Meter_and_Teleswitcher.JPG
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills