Streetlife / Nextdoor

Comments

• cjc178
    cjc178 Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I was on streetlife for the last four years and really didn't like the way the American site Nextdoor took it over and expected us to go along with them. Their security for it's member is so poor your expected to give out your full name and the road you live in. The only saving grace is that you can remove the door number of your house otherwise you would be handing out your full address and name to who knows who. I like to think my neighbours are good but if I'm writing on the site I don't want everyone knowing what's going on in my life. The new site mystreetlink seems to be the best replacement that I have seen and I'm hoping that the people from my area who had tried to keep in touch will also move over to the new site rather than nextdoor as they have all said they don't like the security aspects of Nextdoor. It's a shame that yet again money, the selling of streetlife to the Americans has ruined a really good thing and it's been replaced by an American also ran!:j
    So Glad that Urban Miner told us about mystreetlink, so I could move to that site instead, just hoping now that it's not too late and that some of the rest of our local group will also follow.
    :Tcjc178:beer:
  • figwit
    figwit Posts: 1 Newbie
    I came across a UK based alternative called lowcle. The site can be found at lowcle .uk and from what I understand, it's rolling out to postcode areas one at at time. It seems quite popular in East Kent at the moment.

When choosing an alternative site, remember your data is not secure unless the url contains https, the "s" is the important part.

This new site certainly seems to be getting some good feedback from the users in my area and it's good to see that ex-streetlife members are finding there way on there. I hope for other users it rolls out across the rest of the country.
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,782 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    How many of these does the Country need???
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,199 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    RumRat wrote: »
    How many of these does the Country need???

Same as newsapapers, if we all liked the identical things it would be a dull old world

Think Captain Morgan & Woods RR ;)
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • RumRat
    Farway wrote: »
    Same as newsapapers, if we all liked the identical things it would be a dull old world

Think Captain Morgan & Woods RR ;)
    You made me go and get a tot......and Lent was going so well......:p;)

However, if everyone joined their own street thingy then the system would be fragmented and it would defeat the purpose......Wouldn't it?
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • no1catman
    no1catman Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    OTOH - you can join as many (or as few) as you like. No reason to decide on 'the one', it's not being disloyal to one - to join another, and then another.
    You can enjoy the differences between them.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
  • CliveF
    CliveF Posts: 2 Newbie
    I was a user of Streetlife which I liked, I migrated to Nextdoor which I find terrible, I quickly moved on to Kahuti which is a new offering and have found it to be an excellent replacement for Streetlife, although it's new the developers are listening to the users and implementing good suggestions for improvement all the time. I recommend this package to everyone and especially to ex-Streetlife Nextdoor users not happy with Nextdoor. You can evaluate Kahuti in Guest mode before you sign up, and if you have any problems there are always friendly people around to answer your questions. If you want to try it you can find it at kahuti.com
  • CliveF
    CliveF Posts: 2 Newbie
    It will work worldwide just give it time its only just started up !!!
  • Lots of people dislike Nextdoor for various reasons and they are reforming the old Streetlife community on Kahuti.com This is a new site (it only launched in the UK in February 2017) and is also American, but the developers are very responsive and are working hard to improve the site in line with feedback from users. There is no requirement to enter a full name and the site will accept pseudonyms and a general location, so the privacy concerns with Nextdoor do not arise and there is no pressure from the site.

Kahuti is being developed rapidly and has the potential to be even better than Streetlife. It has been warmly received, but needs more active users although numbers are increasing daily and Kahuti communities are starting to spring up all over the country.

Kahuti appears to be the most suitable and popular of the replacements for Streetlife. The speed of development and response times show the founders are fully engaged with the site and they are now talking about mail shots to increase the number of users. This appears to be a serious site with the intention of remaining for the long term.

If you joined Nextdoor, make sure you instruct them to delete your ID and data when you close your account.
  • RumRat
    With the amount of free spam advertising on here it's no wonder it's growing....:cool:
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills