PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Can I terminate my tenant's tenancy early for having an unauthorised pet?

Options

Comments

• moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 13 July 2017 at 4:05PM
    Options
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    I can just imagine money as a landlord with a "no children" clause in the TA popping round with a wire coathanger and knitting needle if she found out the tenant was pregnant.

:rotfl:Nope - just giving them their notice all officially etc.

Since when is a contract not a contract - just because one party to it decides they personally don't wish to abide by it? They shouldnt have signed it in the first place if they had no intention of abiding by it. It's called "being responsible" and not "trying to have everything your own way - regardless of what you agreed to".

EDIT; and before you go off on your high horse about one party has a right to break the contract and the other doesnt = I've helped someone before now get a private rental that had both a child and a pet BUT they had the child and pet already and were quite open about having them and I knew them well enough to vouch for them that both child and pet would be well-behaved. It worked out very well and both parties were very happy with the arrangement.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,735 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 July 2017 at 5:23PM
    Options
    Off topic but prostitution as in the selling of sexual services for money is not illegal. It's the associated aspects such as soliciting in a public place which breaks the law.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Riggster
    Riggster Posts: 169 Forumite
    Options
    Would it be legally inappropriate to ask my neighbour to inspect the property?
    My sister who lives a couple of miles away has very kindly agreed to do an inspection if the tenants will ALLOW her into the property. I am going to call them today.

To achieve what exactly?
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    scd3scd4 wrote: »
    No, wear and tear would be covered. Dogs mess from a dog that should not be there would not be. Assuming the dog has hair and can not float or has accidents. - Unless ofcourse they make good the damage...

Are you suggesting it would also be ok to smoke if the agreement said you can not with no redress. - yes that's exactly what i'm saying. Sounds like your knowledge and common sense is missing. - yes, it must be me.... With only what 7 years of knowledge in providing advice to tenants and landlords.

That's what I would do and then they can look into the possibility of it not happening......but thanks.

What would you do exactly? try to deduct from an unprotected deposit... clever....
  • n217970
    n217970 Posts: 338 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Since when is a contract not a contract

When it is deemed "unfair"
  • leslieknope
    leslieknope Posts: 334 Forumite
    Options
    as a tenant it really saddens me that some people want to refuse to allow tenants to even basic things, like having a baby should they choose to. as long as the home is returned to the original state (minus normal age & wear and tear) when they leave, does it matter?
    CCCC #33: £42/£240
    DFW: £4355/£4405
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Perhaps the landlord/lady is friends with the neighbours and would like it to stay that way - without the hassle of trying to "fall over backwards" to apologise/try and deal with barking dogs or crying babies?
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Unless ofcourse they make good the damage...

If they make good any damage or evidence that a dog lived there then there really would not be an issue would there....Maybe you could reread why the poster objected.

yes that's exactly what i'm saying

No point of deposit then is there and little need of your advise.

What would you do exactly? try to deduct from an unprotected deposit... clever....

Who says that is not a valid reason for the deposits use. Or is it just a game of musical money..........plain nonsense.

• Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    scd3scd4 wrote: »
    Unless ofcourse they make good the damage...

If they make good any damage or evidence that a dog lived there then there really would not be an issue would there....Maybe you could reread why the poster objected. - The poster hasn't been there!

yes that's exactly what i'm saying

No point of deposit then is there and little need of your advise. - It depends on how the property is returned!

Who says that is not a valid reason for the deposits use. Or is it just a game of musical money..........plain nonsense. - You clearly have no idea...

seriously take an hour, read G_Ms threads, then come back
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options

Since when is a contract not a contract - just because one party to it decides they personally don't wish to abide by it? They shouldnt have signed it in the first place if they had no intention of abiding by it. It's called "being responsible" and not "trying to have everything your own way - regardless of what you agreed to".

Oh c'mon money you've been on MSE long enough to know that contracts aren't the be and and end all and I'm not just talking about tenancy agreements either. There are parts of the forum dedicated to PPI reclaims, bankruptcy and debt.

You can put what you like in a tenancy agreement but that doesn't means its enforceable. The tenancy agreement doesn't trump a tenant's statutory rights.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure