New Bathroom - heated & lit mirror + underfloor heating

2»

Comments

• SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    andyhop wrote: »
    We've probably close to a 1000 installs now, some are 12yrs old and are still on first applied silicone and grout . My own wetroom, used twice a day everyday, I'm always covered in other customers bathroom dirt, cleaned monthly, grout and silicone clean as the day it was installed

Well, unfortunately, our flat is on the ground floor and the extractor fan has to take the steam up through another 5 floors and no matter how powerful the fan is, it doesn't work and the managing agents won't do anything about it.

This was recommended on here, have you ever used it:

https://www.byretech.com/acatalog/shower-tray-seals.html
  • andyhop
    andyhop Posts: 1,996 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Coram showers are the budget end of the market, The warranty will be against faults in product and not workmanship in fitting together

Having had baths that have delaminated, tiles that have crazed and discoloured. Glass that falls out of the factory fitted seals .... there's no such thing as a 25yr warranty, trying to get any large manufacture to admit liability will never happen . They will give you a replacement but will never cover fitting costs
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
  • andyhop
    SuzieSue wrote: »
    Well, unfortunately, our flat is on the ground floor and the extractor fan has to take the steam up through another 5 floors and no matter how powerful the fan is, it doesn't work and the managing agents won't do anything about it.

This was recommended on here, have you ever used it:

https://www.byretech.com/acatalog/shower-tray-seals.html

Why can't it be vented externally via a wall? There are inline fans such as a XID150 that will outflow most other domestic fans on the market. Rigid ducting with minimal bends will also ensure good flow.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,804 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    If I were on the ground floor, I'd externally vent and sod anyone that tried to stop me! You can put flat grilles on the outside to be discreet.

Those cabinet things are truly horrid. :o
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • SuzieSue
    Why can't it be vented externally via a wall?

Because there aren't any external walls anywhere near the bathroom. We were hoping to have a positive input vent system put in because we have a problem with condensation but the surveyor said that even that wasn't possible as it would be too difficult to get a duct from the hall to an external wall.
  • andyhop
    Because there aren't any external walls anywhere near the bathroom. We were hoping to have a positive input vent system put in because we have a problem with condensation but the surveyor said that even that wasn't possible as it would be too difficult to get a duct from the hall to an external wall.

Do you live in a cave?

Theres always a way
  • SuzieSue
    Do you live in a cave?

Theres always a way

Ha ha.

Yes, I would have thought so especially as I would have thought that they wanted the job, but he told us to just get a dehumidifier!
  • fezster
    fezster Posts: 485 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The mirror I'm considering is a Hib groove 60 which is a mirror cabinet with built in Bluetooth speaker.

My experience of LED lights on mirrors has not been good. If you plan to leave the lights on for long periods (we'd leave them on at night for the kids, and sometimes accidentally all day) then the LEDs fade very quickly to the point of being useless.

In contrast, my mirror with fluorescent tube lights has been fantastic. The tubes are easily replaceable.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    The second thing is heated floors. Again I like the idea but it would mean that the floor would need to be tiled.

They lend themselves very well to Economy7 electricity since they usually take some hours to heat up and will then be nice and warm ready for the morning.

Some form of positive input would really assist the extractor too. So many people (not suggesting this is you!) install extractor fans without any thought to where the make-up air is going to come from and wonder why the ventilation is poor.
  • Where did you get the Groove 60 for £300? That's a bargain! Cannot find it anywhere near that price. :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure