Sky has higher setup costs than advertised on MSE broadband tool

I recently opted for the Sky £9.50 a month deal which I got from the new MSE Broadband tool.

I am currently with Virgin but have an old BT landline installed (not currently operational)

The MSE broadband tool said the setup cost was £19.95. However, I've been charged £39.95
- £10 broadband activation
- £20 new phone line installation (Why? I already have a landline. It's just not activated at the moment)
- £9.95 Broadband hardware delivery charge

I imagine there might be quite a few people in my situation who decide to take this deal, and end up being charged £20 more.

Comments

• teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Line installation isn't the laying of a line to your house. It's done at the exchange.

The line to your house is almost certainly not connected at the exchange and it is this work at the exchange which will cost extra, compared to passing a live line to another provider.

Even if you move a live line from such as PlusNet, you are now charged a cease fee if you go to an LLU provider such as Sky or Talk Talk (ie treated just as if you had the line 'switched off').

The work is done my Openreach ,but the cost has to be covered by providers, some of which charge while others absorb the cost.
  • pacman_2
    pacman_2 Posts: 154 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Same happened to me. I thought the guy was pulling a fast one by charging £20 for line activation. I said its just flicking a switch to which he replied someone has to go to the exchange to flick the switch.

MSE should have known about this.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    pacman wrote: »
    Same happened to me. I thought the guy was pulling a fast one by charging £20 for line activation. I said its just flicking a switch to which he replied someone has to go to the exchange to flick the switch.

The majority, not leaving Virgin, would already have a working line to transfer from another supplier .
  • lee111s
    lee111s Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    pacman wrote: »

It's not as simple as flicking a switch.

If you saw the inside of a telephone exchange you'd understand better. The engineer has to locate the pair coming in from outisde the exchange and ensure they connect it to the correct bar pair and if there's broadband involved the line will also need to be jumpered onto the broadband network kit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure