Does anyone wash their PV solar panels?

2»

Comments

• sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,838
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I have 8 panels and one of them is covered in bird poo, as my aerial is a perching place for the birds, although I have never seen birds perching.
    I am thinking about buying a long cleaning pole, and getting my aerial moved.
  • NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,714
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    mmmmikey wrote: »
    Hi, just moved to a house with solar panels and having fun playing with energy monitors. Quick questions - does anyone wash their panels? How, DIY, window cleaner or professional service? Is it worthwhile?
    TBH, I just tend to remove bird droppings as I feel they may cause damage. Dust etc seems to get washed off in heavy rain. Like Martyn, I've got an extendy poley thingy.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • phsci
    phsci Posts: 70
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    NigeWick wrote: »
    TBH, I just tend to remove bird droppings as I feel they may cause damage. Dust etc seems to get washed off in heavy rain. Like Martyn, I've got an extendy poley thingy.
    Me too. However, see:
    "Carbon pollutants from human activity can build up on solar panels, causing a 25 per cent drop in performance in some places. Cleaning the panels more often might reduce the problem – but can damage panels"
    https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg23531323-900-60-seconds/
    " On the basis of current solar generation capacity, PM is responsible for ∼1 and ∼11 GW of solar power reduction in India and China, respectively, underscoring the large role that PM plays in reducing solar power generation output."
    http://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdfplus/10.1021/acs.estlett.7b00197
  • ASavvyBuyer
    ASavvyBuyer Posts: 1,737
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    NigeWick wrote: »
    Similar, I use an extendy pole with a brush on the end (window cleaner pole) to brush off bird poo and any leaves that stick. The rain here tends to wash most off though.

However, have notice a bit of algae forming on the bottom edge of the panels that does not shift with the brush on a pole. We live in a bungalow, so planning to get up on the roof and wipe it off with a soft damp cloth.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure