Acquiring new glasses cheaply

13»

Comments

• Hello, everyone.

I managed to get a free eye test and pair of spectacles due to my disability benefits. Great success!
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,946 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Hello, everyone.

I managed to get a free eye test and pair of spectacles due to my disability benefits. Great success!
    Disability benefits won't get you this. It's Income related benefits that allow you to have these. Just so you know.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    Disability benefits won't get you this. It's Income related benefits that allow you to have these. Just so you know.

I'm hoping that you mean your disability money helps you afford the glasses, because, as quoted, it is only low income that makes you eligible for a voucher. (Rich people, who can well afford expensive frames, can have DLA, PIP and AA).

If you claim an NHS benefit you are not entitled to, as many have reported on here (especially over prescriptions), you are eventually caught and have to pay the price, including a relatively high fine.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,946 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    teddysmum wrote: »
    I'm hoping that you mean your disability money helps you afford the glasses, because, as quoted, it is only low income that makes you eligible for a voucher. (Rich people, who can well afford expensive frames, can have DLA, PIP and AA).

If you claim an NHS benefit you are not entitled to, as many have reported on here (especially over prescriptions), you are eventually caught and have to pay the price, including a relatively high fine.
    No! that's not what i meant! The OP stated this ...
    I managed to get a free eye test and pair of spectacles due to my disability benefits. Disability benefits doesn't give anyone a free eye test.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    No! that's not what i meant! The OP stated this ...
    I managed to get a free eye test and pair of spectacles due to my disability benefits. Disability benefits doesn't give anyone a free eye test.

Sorry. I was addressing the OP, using your comment as an agreement point.

ie I hope they meant that DLA money allowed them to afford,as opposed to ticking the entitlement box, just because of DLA, which doesn't mean you can't afford, because it's not means tested.
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    The OP might mean they're entitled through income related ESA
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business