Spoilt wedding Cake

Options

Comments

• powerful_Rogue
    powerful_Rogue Posts: 7,517 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Lavendyr wrote: »
    Personally I think the cake looks awful and £80 is not enough of a refund. I'd suggest £150 i.e. half. A wedding cake is not all about the taste, believe it or not - it's about the look and the photos you will look back on for years to come. A professional cakemaker should be able to make and package a wedding cake sufficiently to protect against the weather and should respect that the cake is going to be a centrepiece in many photos (the "cutting of the cake" being a tradition).

OP I hope you get a reasonable resolution. Personally, from a negotiation stance I would go in slightly over what you hope to achieve, and then settle somewhere between their offer and yours. Hope it works out and many congratulations on your marriage.

Personally I think the cake looks ok and a refund of £80 is perfectly reasonable.

This was not a professional cake maker, but a hobbyist. If you want a professional cake, you pay the going rate for a professional. Just like a pair of headphones from the £1 shop aren't going to look and perform the same as a pair of Beats/B&O etc headphones.

Take the £80, quit the fascination about the cake and enjoy your marriage.
  • Anoneemoose
    Anoneemoose Posts: 2,258 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Personally I think the cake looks ok and a refund of £80 is perfectly reasonable.

This was not a professional cake maker, but a hobbyist. If you want a professional cake, you pay the going rate for a professional. Just like a pair of headphones from the £1 shop aren't going to look and perform the same as a pair of Beats/B&O etc headphones.

Take the £80, quit the fascination about the cake and enjoy your marriage.

I agree, although feel I should point out that I have seen many cakes made by hobby bakers that are far superior to 'professionals'.

As I said though, I am sure OP would have seen the standard of work this person offered prior to the order and must have been happy with it.
  • OlliesDad
    OlliesDad Posts: 1,825 Forumite
    Options
    The OP should have contracted a professional cake maker if hats what they wanted.

Can you explain how this was not a professional cake maker? People keep saying that this baker was not a professional one but nobody explains why. Brides magazine advise an average cost of a cake is £300 (although this is unlikely to be 4 tiers) so it doesn't seem like this baker was much cheaper.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    OlliesDad wrote: »
    Can you explain how this was not a professional cake maker? People keep saying that this baker was not a professional one but nobody explains why. Brides magazine advise an average cost of a cake is £300 (although this is unlikely to be 4 tiers) so it doesn't seem like this baker was much cheaper.
    This whole thing has got very confusing because the OP started 2 threads on different boards.

This is what the OP posted:
    evherkes wrote: »
    The baker only bakes cakes, an at home business with food safety and the ratings etc.
    when I asked this question:
    Pollycat wrote: »
    What is the background of the baker?
    Is it a 'bit-of-extra-money' side-line or is she a professional?
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 June 2017 at 9:42AM
    Options
    OlliesDad wrote: »

This is a woman doing it as a hobby in her kitchen at home, not a professional cake making/decorating business.

Hence the lack of knowledge about transporting the cake. No professional cake maker would have transported a tiered cake ready assembled, it was never going to look good once it arrived even without the warm weather. The proportions are all wrong, the fondant work very clumsy and it looks like she used too much buttercream for the crumb coat.

And no, this cake maker wasn't much cheaper than a professional, they seem to be vastly overcharging for their level of expertise, but hey, it's a wedding, everyone hikes their prices up at the mention of the 'W' word.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just read the whole thread. Hopefully the OP will come back and let us know the outcome. The main impression I got was that the guests ate the cake, which is after all the main purpose of a cake. So no way is a full refund appropriate.

In fact as newlyweds they should have just laughed it off as one of those things that they will talk about in future.

I always find that wedding cakes end in tiers.
  • HB58
    HB58 Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    Options
    OP, I'm sorry that you did not have the perfect day that you had planned for. I think many/most of us find that something goes awry on the big day simply because it is actually not possible for everything to be as special as we want it to be.

Looking back at my own wedding (more than 30 years ago) I am rather embarrassed at how finicky I was about things (and no, I was certainly not a 'Bridezilla'!) as I now can see things without the 'rose tinted glasses' that came with the wedding magazines.

The important thing is not the fripperies of the wedding day but the strength and stability of your marriage - I hope yours endures for many years to come.

I really think you should try and let go of this so that it does not poison your memory of your special day.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    robatwork wrote: »
    I always find that wedding cakes end in tiers.

The door is that way
    >

Get out!

;)
  • Shoshannah
    Shoshannah Posts: 667 Forumite
    Options
    I'm absolutely craving cake now.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    The OP should have contracted a professional cake maker if hats what they wanted.

I disagree -
    If hats are what they wanted then they should have contacted a professional milliner ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure