Old Boys! Have you claimed your pension??

Comments

• Mdave1
    Mdave1 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Hi, best idea for anyone wanting to know about the pensions schemes is to contact Glasgow directly, I served 9 years in the Army 1973 - 1982 and will be 60 in around 18 months time. I have already contacted them and will receive a tax free lump sum plus monthly payment subject to usual taxation.
    Took them about two weeks to reply.
  • Hello all; I've had a look through a few on-line forums to find an answer to my question, but to no avail; so I wonder if anyone reading this may have the answer. I served in the RAF Regiment from 28th August 1984 until 11th May 1989, a total of 1717 days. I then joined the Metropolitan Police in February 1990. My question is this; how many of those 1717 days pensionable service can I transfer to my MPS pension? I've been told they're worth less than 300 days, but that seems rather low to me. Thanks in advance.
  • Bedford2 - you've posted your enquiry twice, so best to not answer here and leave it to your other thread, in which you said you've already transferred out of the Armed Forces Pension Scheme into the Police Pension Scheme.

Only the Police Pension Scheme can tell you what that transfer in is (or would be if you hadn't yet carried out the transfer) worth as that's dependent on their benefits as well as the cash value of the Armed Forces bit.
    Mortgage Free thanks to ill-health retirement
  • hi Molerat can you answer this for me I have applied for my preserved pension after 12 years service in the Army 1973-1985 I have now reached 60 but have heard nothing from the pensions office in Glasgow, how long does it take to come through
  • Fergie76
    Fergie76 Posts: 2,293 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    kendo3119 wrote: »
    hi Molerat can you answer this for me I have applied for my preserved pension after 12 years service in the Army 1973-1985 I have now reached 60 but have heard nothing from the pensions office in Glasgow, how long does it take to come through

When did you apply?

Best bet would be to phone them:

Telephone : 0141 224 3600
    Freephone : 0800 085 3600
  • kendo3119
    kendo3119 Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 20 March 2015 at 6:28PM
    thanks Fergie76
    I applied to the old Glasgow address 4 months ago and my claim was returned by the post office 2 months later as the place no longer exists. I applied to the new office of Veterens uk over a month ago but have heard nothing back, its frustrating when you cant get any info....
  • Does the new legislation of cashing in pensions at 55 include forces Pensions.?

I served 7 years 151 days as a corporal in the R.E.M.E. As auto electrician from Dec 80 - may 88. I am not 55 until 2017 or 60 in 2022. Could you advise how much my pension would be worth if both scenarios are relevant?
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,848 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    The new rules apply to money purchase pensions and not defined benefit. You will be due your preserved pension at age 60 under APFS75.
  • Hi my name is garreth i have an army pension from 1998 and was wandering if it can be released early thanks
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,848 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Not unless you are seriously ill or disabled. You may be able to transfer it to another scheme where you can access it at age 55.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback