PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Chirping smoke alarm from empty flat

Comments

• lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,609 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 October 2016 at 7:04PM
    Well I've identified the free holder (local authority).
    I've reported it to their noise dept as it's the only avenue I could find and I had a call AND a visit tonight which was great.
    What is a little frustrating is the jobsworth treating it as a noise prosecution when I keep saying "you're the freeholder, just call the leaseholder".
    , but anyway hopefully this avenue will provide an answer, because they do have the power to get things done (break in etc.)

It's just been treated as a noise complaint rather than anything to do with them being the freeholder.

I obviously selected the wrong option on the LR, but it did clarify exactly who the freeholder was as there are many companies involved in LA housing round here,

Thanks all.
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    lisyloo wrote: »
    I have thought of that, but will it give the address of the flat next door?
    I guess it might be worth paying a few quid.

When I last did a search it was 2 pounds per search - you can search ANY address not just next door!
  • adonis
    adonis Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    My smoke alarm/ carbon monoxide detector started saying flat battery in an American accent at 2am the other morning,

after I got a step from the kitchen and took it down I found the still in date Duracell's (use by 2023) that had come with the branded detector had leaked so I had to take them out clean the contacts and by then decided to put new ones in.
    Why do these things always start in the middle of the night.:mad:
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    They leaked because they were flat, not because they were somehow age-expired.
  • lisyloo
    boliston wrote: »
    When I last did a search it was 2 pounds per search - you can search ANY address not just next door!

Yes but what I meant was it might tell me that

12 acacia avenue was owned by

My smith, 12 acacia avenue - which is no help whatsoever.
  • lisyloo
    Things have really started moving now.
    The flat is tenanted by the LA but through a management company.
    The LA (who happens to be the free holder) has served notice now, management company have no keys, can't get in touch with tenant and are panicking. The LA will break in tomorrow night if no-one can be contacted. Happy with that result.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    lisyloo wrote: »
    Yes but what I meant was it might tell me that

12 acacia avenue was owned by

My smith, 12 acacia avenue - which is no help whatsoever.
    But if it tells you 12 Acacia Avenue is owned by Tarquin Fortescue-Curlicue of 12 Acacia Avenue, and there's a Tarquin Fortescue-Curlicue living a mile or five away, then you've got a good starting point, right?
  • lisyloo
    I agree and obviously more difficult if it's john smith.

In this case it's owned by the LA and not a private individuals (some of the flats in this block are private and some LA).
  • adonis
    adonis Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    No they leaked because Duracell are not what they are cracked up to be and there is a lot of complaints about them,even leaking in the packets, had they been cheap batteries I could understand it and the alarm has been checked weekly, they wasn't flat.
  • adonis wrote: »

Why do these things always start in the middle of the night.:mad:

Because it is colder at night.
    PPI success. Banding success. Double Dip PCN cancelled! South facing solar (Midlands) and battery. Savings Session supporter.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure