Santander - paying in cheques

I'm thinking of opening a Santander current account for the £100 reward and interest but am unable to find any info on their website about paying in cheques.

I currently bank with First Direct and they provide me with post paid pre-addressed envelopes into which I just need to pop in the cheque and completed paying in-slip.

As I am paid by cheque this is very convenient.

Does anyone know if Santander provide a similar service?

Comments

• 1st direct are not a high street bank, nor do they have their own branded ATM's so posting cheques is the only way they can take them. Spamtander machines can take cheques or you can put them in an envelope and put them through their letter box.
  • BarGin
    BarGin Posts: 951 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Does that mean paying in by post is not available at all then?

It wouldn't be worth it for me if I had to wait until the weekend, then drive into town and pay for parking just to pay my salary in.
  • Dont bother with a spamtander account anyway
  • barak
    barak Posts: 1,258 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    1st direct are not a high street bank, nor do they have their own branded ATM's so posting cheques is the only way they can take them.
    Not the only way. First Direct is a division of HSBC, and cheques can be paid in at any HSBC branch :)
    ".....where it is corrupt, purge it....."
  • EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,039 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    BarGin wrote: »
    Does that mean paying in by post is not available at all then?

It wouldn't be worth it for me if I had to wait until the weekend, then drive into town and pay for parking just to pay my salary in.

You can post them to your branch with a paying in slip, or a letter asking them to pay them into your account, but you would have to pay the postage. There aren't any pre-paid, pre-adressed envelopes.
  • Grant_UK_2
    Grant_UK_2 Posts: 13 Forumite
    My ex Abbey accounts became Santander with the changeover, but I've always been able to pay in cheques and cash via the cash machines, so I don't need to go the branch at opening times. In fact, it's a requirement for my business accounts that I pay in via a machine because that way they won't charge me for having them.

I think that the cash machines needs to be at ex-Abbey branches rather than former branches of the other banks that Santander took over, but someone else will need to advise on that.

Hope that helps anyway... :)
  • Santander allow you to request paying-in slips and envelopes via your on-line account and they usually arrive within a few days. For the record, I have never had a problem with this bank and I enjoy getting my 5% on the first £2,500 for free each month. Not many banks give you that!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure