What questions should be asked at Redundancy Consultation?

Options
I'm the only person up for redundancy in a department restructure and have been told to feedback into the consultation process with questions and propose other ideas for the restructure to work without redundancy etc
What should I ask? I've not been through this before so am unsure.

Also I've recently returned from Stress leave, and this whole process is retriggering Stress. Not an ideal situation!

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    How long have you worked there?

IT often helps to understand the motivation behind the redundancies and how they have come about, restructure is often just a handy phrase as it covers just about everything other than a closure.

often there are clear and obvious reasons, like a place is closing, too many people to do the work, loss of a contract so work will reduce soon...

what is the business case for the need to reduce the workforce, even if you can see a reason you need to ask what their reason is and what alternatives they have considered.

you can't really offer alternative suggestions without knowing, eg they need one person less but rather than get rid of one person they could reduce hours a bit for everyone, ,or you may have ideas to find more work...

why are you the only one?

if you are doing an unique job then that may be OK but if there should have been a pool and selection process when/how was that done.

Time scales, when is the likely termination date, you should be given time to try to think about alternatives after a first meeting does not have to be long.

at some point you need to know the package on offer, statutory or more and how they plan to deal with notice.

When there is just one you have to look at the possibility they just don't need you.

is the restructure extensive or just around your job.
    if you have been off a longish time and they managed to cover without getting extra people in they may realise they don't need as many people.
    Have you been having other issues or don't get on with management.

then there is the are you happy there, do you want to stay or would you prefer to go,

what outcome do you want.
  • indianabones
    Options
    As getmore4less says. The key things to find out are and to find out as soon as possible.

1. Redundancy package.
    2. Termination dates.
    3. How the decision was made.

There's a ton of articles online about this and don't be afraid to take a notepad in with anything else you want to ask, just like an interview you can forget to ask stuff and that's where the notepad acts as a reminder.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure