Have you tried to reclaim old bill credit?

Options

Comments

• fourlegsgood
    fourlegsgood Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 28 May 2014 at 4:55PM
    Options
    Today I've just cashed the cheques I received from Scottish Power, both my £103 credit balance from 2011 and £25 compensation for them holding on to my money and lying to me about the reasons why they didn't return it.

The whole process took a lot of effort and many phone calls, but their initial unpleasant attitude motivated me to keep pestering them until they finally paid up.

Thanks again to MSE for letting me know that I might have money owed from the energy companies!
  • Storm
    Storm Posts: 1,749 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I'm in a middle of a saga with Scottish Power right now - I moved at the beginning of February and sent them the final meter readings. A bill at the end of January showed I was in credit by around £280. They did stop taking the DD at least, but I left it open as instructed so they could make the refund.

Anyway, other than a sales call in March, I heard nothing, so in April when it was 2 months since I'd moved I raised a complaint. Today I logged on to see if there was any movement and they'd drawn up an estimated bill???

I called the freephone number and asked to be put through to complaints department - can't do that - well then I'd like to speak to a manager - isn't one available. After repeating the whole saga down the phone and him trying to convince me I should stick with the estimated bill as the gas was lower (though electric higher) than my readings, he was 'raising a request for a final bill to be produced based on my meter readings'.

Throw in him saying this would be done within 'a couple of days' but when I asked him to clarify that this would be by Friday, 'oh, about 10 days' and apparently I will have to call again once I get the bill to request an immediate payout rather than waiting another couple of weeks, I am fuming.

However, only a week until they go past the 8 weeks since my original complaint so I can refer it to the ombudsman. I will give them the 10 days he quoted to get this sorted, but once it's passed ombudsman here I come!
    Total Debt 13th Sept 2006 (exc student loan): £6240.06 :eek:
    O/D 1 [strike]£1250 [/strike]O/D 2 [strike]£100[/strike] Next a/c [strike]£313.55[/strike]@ 26.49% Mum [strike]£130[/strike] HSBC [strike]£4446.51[/strike]@15.75%[STRIKE]M&S £580.15@ 4.9%[/STRIKE]
    Total Debt 30th April 2008: £0 100% paid off!

PROUD TO [STRIKE]BE DEALING [/STRIKE] HAVE DEALT WITH MY DEBT ;)
  • IDProtected
    IDProtected Posts: 237 Forumite
    Options
    Superb timimg with the advice in the weekly email! I have been fighting Scottish Power for a refund of the £315 that they owe me for three months; now the cheeky b*sards have taken a further £121 by direct debit, despite having changed energy supplier. I've just filled out the online complaint form, fingers crossed that a positive outcome is reached in the near future!
    Owed @ LBM, including mtg: £85961.15, As of 1st August 2016: £14481.01 :j
    September 2016; out of debt and have savings for the saddest reason. RIP Aunty, I'll never forget you:(

Never begin a sentence with "And". Unless you are the Goo Goo Dolls that is.
  • Former_MSE_Marcel
    Options
    Thanks for all your feedback everyone, great that people are getting £100s back. Please feel free to share the article with anyone you know, I still believe that many people are unaware that they can get these refunds.
  • Judi11
    Judi11 Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've already posted about this -

Switching from NPower to EDF

We have sent a complaint to the Ombudsman about a month ago and we are still waiting for a credit from NPower for around £600. We received a call a couple of weeks ago from NPower apologising for the delay (we switched around Oct last year - 8 months ago!, with Cheap Energy Club), but still we have not had our money back.

Do not keep your account in credit with any utility companies. Always owe them money. After all, it's your money, not theirs! And they do not want to give it back! :o(
  • Puffin74
    Puffin74 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    I just can't believe that until now they haven't been told to repay customers back who were in credit! Disgusting!
  • webwiz
    webwiz Posts: 215 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If this happened to me I would report it to the police as a crime.
  • ^!£$&
    ^!£$& Posts: 1,929 Forumite
    Options
    I left npower in May. Rang in June after final bill to request they £64 they owed me as I was in credit. They told me it would be done via bank transfer as my direct debit was still active. This was to take 10 working days they said. Well I'm still waiting now at the end of July. I have gone through their complaints procedure and will see what happens. If I do not get refunded within the next few weeks I will be taking them to the ombudsman.
  • 7w^
    7w^ Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    It might be helpful to include in advice on switching suppliers that it is advisable to download online bills up to date before doing so, since access to them on-line may be withdrawn after the switch.
  • PeTaL
    PeTaL Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I have just reclaimed over £240 from NPower thanks to your website! I niavely assumed that if I was owed any money when I switched to Eon that they would credit me the overpayment. I had always understood this to be the case. How wrong I was! The wording on the NPower website is so crafty, covering themselves for keeping your money by saying "The credit on your account will be used to cover upcoming bills" Why they would need to do that when I have switched is a mystery...
    THANK YOU MSE for alerting me to this shady practice :T
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure