Purple or Blue Debit card with Natwest Select A/C ?

Comments

• jen245
    jen245 Posts: 1,606 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thats rubbish, i have the Current Plus (now called Select) account, its a basic current account, not a basic account, theres a big difference!! I have the purple debit card (has a £250 CG symbol on the back) small overdraft and a cheque book
    Debt free and staying that way! :beer:
  • jen245 wrote: »
    Thats rubbish, i have the Current Plus (now called Select) account, its a basic current account, not a basic account, theres a big difference!! I have the purple debit card (has a £250 CG symbol on the back) small overdraft and a cheque book

Totally agree with you. Just could not believe my ears when she said that (well...yawning). Just could not believe her attitude !!! Having said that when I tried to correct her telling that got a chequebbok facility so could not be a basic a/c, she was like 'Ah you don't have any overdraft' so you can't get the purple card' !!

Was about to tell her so to use my card at pay@pump, need to get a overdraft then ? ... ahhh well then decided to save my time anyway :rotfl:
  • jen245
    From what Ive read on here, even people with overdrafts, arent guaranteed to get the purple card. There doesnt seem to be any rhyme or reason to it, if the computer decides you can have it, then fine, if not, then its tough luck!!
  • jen245 wrote: »
    From what Ive read on here, even people with overdrafts, arent guaranteed to get the purple card. There doesnt seem to be any rhyme or reason to it, if the computer decides you can have it, then fine, if not, then its tough luck!!

Ur right !! So in essential these people can be trusted with an overdraft but not with an offline card.

I could understand when they would do this when the cheque guarantee was on as there was a potential risk of cheque fraud and could cost Natwest a lot of money depending on the Guarantee limit and the number of cheque the fraudsters could get hold of !!

But now I think it is a bit of a nuisance !! If you could trust some one with full current a/c, a chequebook and a overdraft in some cases you can always trust them with a offline card and may be £99 worth of petrol ..

I dont think there seems to be any method to their madness:cool:
  • skintdad
    skintdad Posts: 203 Forumite
    ive got a £100 overdraft and cheque book and blue card starting 4751 28. it doesnt work in pay at pumps etc. interestingly tho my old solo card for the same account used to work at my local tesco pay at pump. not sure if the pump had an online connection tho. they got new pumps a few years back and these wouldnt accept solo cards. just as well really coz their fuel is rubbish. i get much better mpg when i use branded fuel at 2p per litre more
  • Midzone
    Midzone Posts: 94 Forumite
    Midzone wrote: »
    This is correct.

My scenario with NatWest is as follows ..... I had Step Account as due to just completing an IVA wasn't allowed a full fat current account. When the Step changed to Basic I applied for a new Select Account but was declined - I then upgraded the Basic to Select Silver as I needed access to all ATM's. I received a new Blue debit card which allowed this but wasn't allowed an overdraft or cheque book.

Yesterday on a whim I applied on line once more for a Select Account and was successful, not only that I was allowed to request a cheque book and also was offered an £800 overdraft. I was issued with new account number etc there and then.

This morning the new account and overdraft appeared in my online banking and I have transferred funds to this new account.

I'll wait to see what colour debit card I receive!

I am also aware that some people have reached this stage before and then had the account closed - so will hold fire with any other transfers (direct debits etc) until I get the card in my hand :)

Just to update you on my situation - a week on the cheque book arrived today as did the debit card and its.......... PURPLE!
  • jen245
    Yay!! :beer:
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    jen245 wrote: »
    Yay!! :beer:

Do we need to organise a "purple" party? :j
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • jen245
    Haha, I think it'll only be the 3 of us, judging by the rest of the thread! :rotfl:
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 January 2012 at 6:37PM
    jen245 wrote: »
    Haha, I think it'll only be the 3 of us, judging by the rest of the thread! :rotfl:

When I started working for RBS 8 years ago it took me nearly 3 years to get a servicecard :D

Until then I always had a naff solo card and I worked for the bank :rotfl:

Just the same as there are many staff who only have a blue visa debit card on there account..
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family